Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stirrup length a little long or short?

Default Stirrup length a little long or short?

Just started taking my newly broken mare out for small hacks. She's being a poppet so far, but Ive kept things easy and not overfaced her.

Just wondering whether when riding youngsters, or any horse maybe you are unfamilier with or feel may get a little bouncy etc you ride with slightly shorter stirrups, or longer?

For hacking, ive always ridden more long, probably a hole shorter than for lets say, a dressage test.

However, I feel the need for a more defensive position, just in case

Any opinions?

I personally prefer and feel more secure in longer stirrups as feel I can get my leg round the horse more and have a deeper seat. I guess it's just personal preference though as I know lots of people who ride shorter when they're uncertain of the horse.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/JuniperZ/Dunkery%20Hoopoe/Hoopysignature.jpg

Thanks 8-l-p.

I agree it's down to personal preference and we are all built differently, I am a string bean. But I rode my youngster's mother tonight after shortening the stirrup one hole to experiment and I felt that I could hold onto her sides more (she's only 14.2 and im 5ft 8!) and Im now tempted to crank up the stirrups a hole on the younger's saddle

I guess try and see how you feel? I found it interesting how my stirrup length affected my pony - I was riding quite long and she was struggling with trot-canter transition, I stopped and shortened my stirrups one hole (not sure why!) and she went straight into canter! I was obviously more effective and sitting more in balance with my stirrups slightly shorter.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/JuniperZ/Dunkery%20Hoopoe/Hoopysignature.jpg

When I hack out on youngsters I like to have my stirrups as long as possible to be comfy - I feel more secure that way as my seat feels deeper, and really when you're out hacking on a babyhoss you need to be ready to sit spooks and naps and general babyish behaviour. For schooling youngsters though, I put my stirrups up a bit from my normal flatwork length. I have them shorter so it's easier for me to put my leg on and keep it nice and still - you never know what they will throw at you and a swinging leg isn't going to make me very secure!

Quote Originally Posted by 8-legged-pony View Post
    I guess try and see how you feel? I found it interesting how my stirrup length affected my pony - I was riding quite long and she was struggling with trot-canter transition, I stopped and shortened my stirrups one hole (not sure why!) and she went straight into canter! I was obviously more effective and sitting more in balance with my stirrups slightly shorter.
    Im riding her tomorrow, so im gonna give it a go a hole shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    When I hack out on youngsters I like to have my stirrups as long as possible to be comfy - I feel more secure that way as my seat feels deeper, and really when you're out hacking on a babyhoss you need to be ready to sit spooks and naps and general babyish behaviour. For schooling youngsters though, I put my stirrups up a bit from my normal flatwork length. I have them shorter so it's easier for me to put my leg on and keep it nice and still - you never know what they will throw at you and a swinging leg isn't going to make me very secure!
    Thanks Joosie, that makes sense to me!. I feel that I will be able to 'hug' her more with my legs shorter and if she puts in a crafty buck or a whip round I will hopefully stay in that saddle rather than eating the dirt below!!.

I will put some pics up, but im just a bit embarrased!!

Nottingham (Uni)/Llandrindod Wells (Home)

Having your stirrups a bit shorter (not so short that you are perched) should make you more secure as it puts more of your leg in front of you, whereas stirrups too long can make you tip forward. Your longest length should definitely be for dressage!

Ok, here we are:

Also depends on your saddle, would be suicide to ride in mine with short stirrups, so it's long for me on the babies - no choice!
    Native pony addict!

I always rode like a jockey. Mainly because I rode the naughty ponies when I was younger and felt more secure. I still do. However, when I had a pony over the summer who was young and green I had a showing straight cut saddle for her. In that I felt a LOT safer with long stirrups which was odd as I never ride long.

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011