Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stirrup length a little long or short?

Useful to see that pic PR. He does look like a chunky thing, and no offence but you don't exactly have legs up to your armpits I can imagine having long stirrups on that one might make it difficult for you to maintain a stable and effective leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Also depends on your saddle, would be suicide to ride in mine with short stirrups, so it's long for me on the babies - no choice!
    Her saddle is a GP with nice chunky knee hugging knee rolls, so Im thinking that the shorter stirrups would fit the saddle better.

Quote Originally Posted by igloo View Post
    I always rode like a jockey. Mainly because I rode the naughty ponies when I was younger and felt more secure. I still do. However, when I had a pony over the summer who was young and green I had a showing straight cut saddle for her. In that I felt a LOT safer with long stirrups which was odd as I never ride long.
    I can imagine that even in a workers saddle with a little knee roll would be scary ridden short style!!

Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    Useful to see that pic PR. He does look like a chunky thing, and no offence but you don't exactly have legs up to your armpits I can imagine having long stirrups on that one might make it difficult for you to maintain a stable and effective leg.
    She's got a major grass belly on at the moment!.

I think youve all convinced me , so Im gonna give it a go tomorrow and ride a bit shorter.

I have ridden long for the past few years. Previous to this short, I now feel happier with longer stirrups in my dressage but they have to be slightly shorter for showing etc. I think it totally depends on the saddle if that makes sense!!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

I ride super long all the time! It means my feet arn't wedged in the stirrups which i feel they are when yanked up short (like for jumping)
    I like to be able to jump off within a second if something is going wrong. My theory is you can ALWAYS get back on!
    To be fair im quite naughty, I hack (and full pelt gallop) in a dressage saddle :-D I feel lovely a secure in it
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by TurnBackTime View Post
    To be fair im quite naughty, I hack (and full pelt gallop) in a dressage saddle :-D I feel lovely a secure in it
    Wahoooo that sounds fun Im counting the days til the corn gets cut around our way so we can have some full on blasts across the stubble

That aside, I jacked up the stirrups 4 holes from my usual and do feel a little more secure.

I think it's just that Ive been riding pretty long for a few years since I had some lessons with a very classically orientated RI. She was horrified by my 'chair position' learned from the 1980's and literally changed the way I rode.

Ive even shortened the leathers on my 14.2 old mare, so I think im getting quite into the 'short stylie'