Thread: Dauntsey Horse Trials Report

Default Dauntsey Horse Trials Report

Yesterday I headed off to Dauntsey. I was semi dreading it as I knew the ground was going to be terrible, especially as it has run on tuesday aswell AND my times were at the end of the day. I must say though that the organisers were fantastic and had done all in their power to ensure that the event went ahead; they had called in local farmers with their tractors to tow lorries in and out on the lorry park (it was a mess!) and had a quad bike and trailer shipping gravel to the cross country fences to keep the take off and landing from getting too deep.

Anyway dressage. It was very slippy in both the warm up and the arenas but he went very well regardless although I was penalised for 'cutting corners' i.e avoiding the swamps!! However the judge gave us a 33.5 which still slot us into top ten after this phase.

The showjumping ring was awful. The warm up was all mud, not one strand of grass standing! So I kept the warm up to a minimum. He jumped very well considering, but the sticky ground meant he had trouble getting his legs up quick enough! He tried his best though so only had one rail.

He was very fresh in the cross country warm up even though, again, the ground was a mess. I was a bit doubtful as all I was hearing on the loudspeaker were people falling off, having run outs, even 'loose horse!' So I just planned to canter him around at his own pace and pull up if the ground made it too difficult for him as a lot of people had withdrawn by this point anyway. He was super though, incredibly genuine and actually felt full of running throughout so surprisingly only had 4 point something time faults which finished us on a score of about 42. I was even more surprised that we finished 3rd! Only about 15 horses finished in the end, damn rain!

No pictures until proffessional ones come online.

I'd heard it was a bit of a mudbath, so well done on getting round and being placed Must be nice to know you're not far off the times without even trying to go for it too!
    Are the pictures online yet?

Wow well done, sounds like you did amazingly just to get round in one piece. Looking forward to the pics.

Is this Dauntsey in Wiltshire?!
    Native pony addict!

No the pictures aren't up yet, I'll keep checking though!

And yes red it's the Dauntsey in Wiltshire near that big roundabout

My yard is in Dauntsey! So close yet so far
    So you probably imagine how wet my fields are....

Well done
    Native pony addict!

well done sounds a great day - esp considering hte conditions

Well done! So good the organisers managed to keep it running even with the bad ground - really makes a difference when so many have been abandoned! So jealous you can finish on so few time faults without making an effort - the cart horse and I always get time faults even when we're trying as hard as possible ha!

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

Well done!

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011