Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 year olds...

Default 2 year olds...

Grace is rising 2 - shes a late foal.

Shes a chunky thing and id like to start as i mean to go on... shes never seen the farrier - shes just basically been left in a field for 2 years - so first things first iguess is the feet?

As a 2 year old - what can they be doing??

I had planned over the next year to slowly introduce saddle cloth//rollers/saddle etc... lunging nearer 3 as i dont want damaged joints. Plenty of long reining if possible?

Suggestions and experiences appreciated

Yep everything you described.

Basic walking in hand, backing up, moving over etc in hand eventually off your voice completely, makes teaching them things on board much much easier when the time comes.

Keep lunging to a minimum even as a 3 yr old. With Alf I would lunge him around the school so I wasn't having to run with him so much but he could still work properly on a much larger area.

You can start bitting him sort of next spring in preparation and then begin a bit of longreining as he is turning 3, your voice commands from the inhand stuff will make that all alot easier too.

Popping anything like saddle cloths etc on her, try a surcingle before a roller, then move up to a roller and walking her in hand with them, then a saddle before she starts long reining.

Bombproofing, bags, tarpaulin, walk over poles etc, introduce her to pushchairs, balloons, umbrellas anything at all you can find show her. Walk her round little bending poles, use cones or tyres.

Get her leading out on the road and seeing everything you can. If you can get everything like that second nature to her when it comes to backing her the only thing new she has to get used to is your weight and that's it.

Teach her to also be left in the field on her own, very very important, so many people don't think about it, although I know B is going to be retired, you did mention elsewhere she may hack occasionally, and if that's the case you don't want to worry about a baby stressing, so take B away once a week for a bit just for an inhand walk down the road.

If I think of anything else I shall come back to this.

If all of these things are second nature already you will

thank you really helpful

this is the first baby for no (2nd is planned for 2014 ) so want to learn now

Ooh, i've just read my post back and I called her a him a couple of times, I am sorry lol!!

First babies are daunting but once you get started and get a bond with them you will wonder why you were worried at all.

I didn't mention basic grooming aswell but that's a given lol.

haha its ok!!

i cant groom loads but will give he r aonce weekly quick brush as shes living out - but definately some ineraction there else she will turn feral like b lol!

yeah flick over all over her body with a dandy brush when she is dry won't hurt her at all.

Getting her used to being touched all over, including on her boobies as some mares will have an aversion and if you ever need to treat anything there for any reason, would be nice to know she will be fine.

Basically do anything now that will make life easier for you in any situation in the future. They are much much more amenable to learning to accept these things at this age because they are like a sponge and soak up everything and anything.

Other most important thing is time to play and be in the field doing nothing.

Going and sitting in the field and just being with her. The better the bond you gain with her the easier everything will be as she gets older.

thanks

definately working on the feet just for a few minutes daily as she will need the farrier - b is due start of august so i have 2 weeks even if i just get the fronts done this time it would be a massive help.

I hardly do anything with mine
    He comes out of his field for the farrier and vet, and hes been for a few walks to be sensible companion to another horse. Weve stood and watched the traffic a couple of times and hes not bothered by it. Hes had a bath and he gets groomed now and again and his mane tidied. He ties up, or stands where I leave him and tell him to stand, comes running when I blow my football whistle, backs up, moves over, leads well. He learnt to load as a yearling, and he went for a trailer training ride a couple of months ago.

Theres not really anything else I need to do with him, for another 18 months or so, just plan to leave him in his field for the most part. Hes no bother at all though, he just does what I want.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Just every day stuff really! I bit all my 2yolds, i show them so easier and never had a problem.

I never bother introducing saddle and stuff till 3rd year, all mine wear rugs which are thrown on and off - i dont pansy around with anything! Lol

I never lunge or long rein the 2 yds though
    Native pony addict!

A lot of people don't do anything and that's fine too, I prefer to as I like spending the time with them and Alf and I had such a strong bond which I deeply miss about him.

It's only a case of doing something a couple of times a week with them, you don't have to do something with them everyday.

I just like the idea that when it comes to the age they are ready to start "work" they are used to wearing the tack so you don't have to worry about having to introduce that, and are used to seeing everything and anything scary so it is really your weight and height above them that is the new thing rather than everything all at once.

Having said that I have generally only had skitty or opinionated youngsters who would probably have reacted to anything and everything as well as me being on board had they not already seen it haha!

If you've got one that takes it all in their stride then it's not so bad.