Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mocha, TT and friends at Trec Camp, pics and videos.

Default Mocha, TT and friends at Trec Camp, pics and videos.

Here's hoping BIrish will contribute to some of the details, I am wrecked.

Some things you should know;

-The venue was changed at the last minute, and various other things which caused a massive headache for us and as a result...

-Mocha and I are FILTHY, there was a purple theme and I'd even gone as far as getting lovely purple ribbon for her mane and tail, but alas she barely saw even a brush

-Didn't get a chance to actually ride before camp, or even before my first lesson and it seems, she is due the dentist, there is lots of headthrowing and lip flapping that usually doesn't go on!

-Haven't actually sat on the horse in 5 weeks.... ow! After one or two intensive lessons it was actually like some kind of torture just sitting in the saddle

-The weather was HIDEOUS, overheating one minute, soaked to the skin the next, freezing overnight... after our first nights camping (the night before it all kicked off) we were all dying

-I'm still confused as to whether I enjoyed the weekend or not! It had its moments, but mostly I seem to be in shock!

Friday
    We were supposed to be on site with the horses by lunchtime it was almost dark by the time we got everything organised, tent pitched and horses in paddocks... no evening hack as planned. We did have a lovely campfire and a few drinks late into the night.

Saturday

BBQ breakfast

My first lesson was jumping, with the instructor that has Vega for breaking... it was of course supposed to be held at the same yard...but that didn't happen

It was a good lesson, practicing altering stride lengths and jumping some difficult combinations, related distances etc, the video is pants as it was just sitting on the wall... check out the weather and the wardrobe changes... it was ridiculous, but didn't get in the way of the fun thankfully

After lunch I had flatwork with a grand prix SJer, not very constructive since I couldn't hold a contact with Mocha's mouthing issues, but it was good fun, look forward to booking some lessons with the instructor in the future. We practiced riding a test... and erm, the first time we rode down the centre line, supposedly to trot, halt and salute, she struck into canter when I sat and tried to jump a big puddle ... silly horse! Made me laugh though.

With no contact there was no working into the bridle, and also a complete lack of straightness! Which was mirrored in our test at the end of camp. It was merely 'accurate' from a gait/transitions point of view

In the evening we had a horsemanship lesson, Mocha was wrecked and I was wet through to the skin, so I put her away, changed into some dry clothes and went on foot without her.
    I just don't get the goals TBH, they are at odds with what I want/need my horse to be doing. Some of the excercises were geared toward achieving certain things ... things she already does, just in a different way, with different aids ... its such a pity I didn't have Vega, as she is almost a clean slate, perhaps I could have gained something from it.

There was a BBQ that evening, really good spread, a lot of the campers chose to fend for themselves though and almost no-one turned up for the evening activities ... so we just had some more beers and stayed up late again. I was so cold when we were retiring to bed, that I got into my car, turned on the engine and the heat and sat in it until I felt warm enough to go to bed
    BIrish on the other hand was some sort of shade of purple and burning with fever.

Sunday
    Was a real struggle to get up, BBQ breakfast which I barely had time to eat and then onto a PTV training session with a Level 4 competitor.

I thought I might die, couldn't actually sit in the saddle. I knew Mocha would be feeling it too, and between trying to keep her warm and walking, sniffling into a tissue and dodging the heavy showers, most of it was lost on me I'm afraid

Mocha was tired and not very interested in doing obstacles in a lesson situation either, she was doing her best to evade my seat and leg and just carelessly kicking stuff over, she perked up for the jumping and was perfect, she did an okay reinback, a nice canter corridor, and her inhand work was perfect. I really wanted to practice the low branches as I've never done them, ever .... but they blew over in the wind and we ran out of time in the end. Probably best we didn't introduce them at any rate, she was less then attentive.

Weight and straightness really matters, we were having straightness issues anyway and by that stage I was like some sort of sloth up there.

I helped set up the PTV course and my OH arrived at midday to photograph. I went then and actually hid in the van on course with him, taking photos, under the pretence that he needed the van to hide from the rain he did sort of... but he could have sat in the judges car... I just wanted to sleep

BIrish sussed after awhile, dug me out and we went and did our versatility tests together. Similar issues on my part, it was accurate movement wise ... but my lines were all wonky ... and I had a load of rider faults... inattentiveness.... my comments said... wrong diagonal, wrong diagonal... WRONG DIAGONAL!!!!

Accuracy earned us 133/150

We went straight out to the COP and PTV, we both love PTV, I was drained but willing, Mocha had a reserve somwhere and pulled out some good work despite the big useless lump on her back

Her mouth issues magically dissappeared ... hmm....

COP
    She did a lovely slow canter, earning us 25/30
    A stumble in the fast walk cost us everything 0/30

And on to the PTV

I forgot to turn on my headcam

Started with the slalom, our favourite and usually best obstacle, I managed to ride in on the wrong leg and she was forced to break halfway through ... she tried though, got nice photos

Gave myself a mental kick and pulled it together for reinback

The inclines and then got complacent ...

All week long we'd been doing lessons and I'd been trying to save her energy, not letting her hoon about, or ponce up the field to the arenas... so I just let go.

I let her gallop at the corridor... which she did perfectly... amazingly, but I'd completely forgotten that the IMMOBILITY was immediately after it ... oops ... I didn't do anything much ... I had a heart attack, freaked out, sat up, centred my weight, aimed for the cones and half halted and sent some sort of OMG brainwaves to Mocha .... she saw the box, but there was absolutely no way she could stop in time ... and I didn't expect her to, my knee jerk reaction was aim for the cones and sit up!! She flung herself into the box, she couldn't stop, only throw her momentum into a handbrake turn... and freeze... I'd love to say right in the box, she very nearly almost did, but she left a leg out on the turn, which is an automatic '0' ... I didn't care, it was amazing, full marks for effort, such a clever horse

The judge and BIrish who was watching, nearly fell over. What was THAT?!

I didn't know of course, so I dropped the reins like hot coals and she stood for the time allowed, she's amazing

Very pleased!

Finished out the ridden obstacle in the same wonky style we'd been at all week

Got as far as the mounting ... I chose the block... didn't even have the energy to walk around and run up my stirrups, so I just pulled them over the saddle and not particularly well... lined up the horse, stood and the block and thought... really? REALLY?? Couldn't make myself get on the horse Shrugged at the judge, trudged out to finish with the led obstacles.

A very determined walk of torture!

We scored somewhere in the 130's I think, out of a possible 160 - haven't got my score sheet and our combined scores put us in 8th overall

Its very far away but it is on video!
    Last edited by Rips; 02-08-2012 at 03:39.

And quite a long video of various bits of the weekend....

I am impressed with your tecnacity ( sorry spelling) and you have reminded me why i dont do camping lol.
    Clever Mocha with her brakes slamming tho
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

It sounds both great and awful Camping...hmmm no thanks, caravanning yes, cold tents, nooo

I want to have a go at Trec but attempts to find anything local(ish) have failed.
    Last edited by Loopy; 02-08-2012 at 07:00.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

How awful, having to change venue at the last minute! And you didn't have a lot of luck with the weather...

Camps usually involve a lot of hours in the saddle, and I usually try and build up my riding in advance so that I can cope - it must have been very hard for you both not having ridden. Something to think about if there is a next time!

Sounds like it was a good camp though - hope you have recovered!

Quote Originally Posted by Heucherella View Post

Camps usually involve a lot of hours in the saddle, and I usually try and build up my riding in advance so that I can cope - it must have been very hard for you both not having ridden. Something to think about if there is a next time!
    No, next time hopefully I just won't get roped into all the extra work that went into it organising and setup! With the venue change we all had to pitch in or it just wouldn't have happened. The committee members who were riding and organsing were like me, shattered! BIrish still managed a smile though!

Mocha was fine, she enjoyed herself, she was keen right until the end, just taking advantage of my tired self at some of the stuff she considers 'boring', something she does anyway. Its just a pity I didn't get to ride on Friday as planned as I could have organised the dentist to have a look, he was there on Saturday for a demo.

Lessons were learned, certainly!

Sounds great and awful all at the same time glad you enjoyed bits of though! Hope your poor butt isn't sore for long

No wonder you're exhausted, I got tired just reading all what you got up to
    And god I do love Mocha! What a smashing mare she is

No pics of the big ginger appearing.....

Yes BIrish, show us some TT!