Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Mocha, TT and friends at Trec Camp, pics and videos.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    chester - le - st,co - durham
    Posts
    926

    Default

    I think you both did brilliantly ..Mocha has come so far and is now the horse you always knew she would be...Trec is definately her forte..

  2. #12

    Default

    LOL.. here ya go.. I'm a busy woman!

    I have to say Heucherella, that I was a bit reading your post. Rips certainly knows what camp entails and she's had a very tough time recently which is why Mocha hasn't been ridden.

    Anyway a pic.. this is what we do these days... gallop everywhere!


  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Herts / Essex border, UK
    Posts
    2,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIrish View Post

    I have to say Heucherella, that I was a bit reading your post. Rips certainly knows what camp entails and she's had a very tough time recently which is why Mocha hasn't been ridden.

    [/IMG]
    Why were you a bit ? Surely you would agree that it is not the ideal run-up to a busy camp. I was only commenting, and I thought I did it politely and sensitively. I have sympathy for Rips - life does get in the way of ones plans. I wouldn't want younger impressionable readers to think that this was 'acceptable' preparation for camp, and just wanted to point out that in an ideal world one prepares for such a busy weekend by fittening up horse and rider. I am sure Rips knows that as well as I do, just wanted to put it down in black and white. Does that explain my comment?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heucherella View Post
    Why were you a bit ? Surely you would agree that it is not the ideal run-up to a busy camp. I was only commenting, and I thought I did it politely and sensitively. I have sympathy for Rips - life does get in the way of ones plans. I wouldn't want younger impressionable readers to think that this was 'acceptable' preparation for camp, and just wanted to point out that in an ideal world one prepares for such a busy weekend by fittening up horse and rider. I am sure Rips knows that as well as I do, just wanted to put it down in black and white. Does that explain my comment?
    My horse is fit thanks very much, 5 weeks ago she did a one day unaffiliated event without breaking a sweat. She lives out 24/7 and is always moving. She was warmed up and cooled down appropriately, and I took it relatively easy compared to what she normally does.
    Infact a few people commented at that time just how fit and well she was looking. She has put on a few pounds since then, but that doesn't affect her core fitness.

    Where I am concerned, I not only had a 5 week break from riding but a 5 week break from work, and then was thrown back in the deep end, working my usual back to back 12hr shifts, on my feet all day and then 3 days of riding, running around, lifting equipment, fencing, walking the length and breadth of an international venue several times the majority of which was not anticipated. Not only that but if you ever had to experience what I have, you would know that it takes a physical toll aswell.

    No, its certainly not 'ideal' ... but by implication you seem to think this is unacceptable and a bad example. I don't quite know how that could be construed politely, nor is it accurate.
    Last edited by Rips; 03-08-2012 at 22:10.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Normandy, France
    Posts
    6,519

    Default

    I understand what you are saying Heucherella and I agree building up fitness in preparation for things like this is always ideal However I do think we have a tendency to underestimate what a horse is capable of at different levels of fitness - and sometimes they are far more capable of what we're asking them than we give them credit for! I think if Mocha was ODE-fit before her break then she wouldn't be in particularly bad shape after 5, 6, even 8 weeks off work. I know back when I was a keen runner at marathon-level fitness, I could go up to 3 months without running and still pick up where I left off (not that it was ideal cos 3 months is more than enough time to lose one's motivation to run ) Also the thing about something like Trec is that it's not a constant physical exertion with no let-up - there are the obstacles like reinback, immobility, S-bend etc which allow the horse time to get their respiration and pulse down again before the next trot or canter.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    I understand what you are saying Heucherella and I agree building up fitness in preparation for things like this is always ideal However I do think we have a tendency to underestimate what a horse is capable of at different levels of fitness - and sometimes they are far more capable of what we're asking them than we give them credit for! I think if Mocha was ODE-fit before her break then she wouldn't be in particularly bad shape after 5, 6, even 8 weeks off work. I know back when I was a keen runner at marathon-level fitness, I could go up to 3 months without running and still pick up where I left off (not that it was ideal cos 3 months is more than enough time to lose one's motivation to run ) Also the thing about something like Trec is that it's not a constant physical exertion with no let-up - there are the obstacles like reinback, immobility, S-bend etc which allow the horse time to get their respiration and pulse down again before the next trot or canter.
    And all the lessons were group lessons where we had breaks between each burst of work. Her breathing was never laboured and she didn't sweat except under her saddlecloth, despite the heat.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Did a 13km orienteering route yesterday and she was power walking, leaving everyone for dust if given half the chance. We have Jumpcross next weekend, pre novice pairs with TT (60-80cm) and then hopefully individual novice class (80-90cm) ... I'm just wondering now what to do with her mane

    Its always been really thick but its getting ridiculous, last time it was pulled, the follicle strip was almost 2inches thick, so to thin it effectively left a good strip of roots bald... luckily you could only see it from up top.
    Now its growing in again, worse then before. The mane that was left is now 3/4inches long and looks like wisps compared to the new mane growing in the bald strip ... which is so thick it stands straight up. A few people at camp asked if she was growing back a mane after a hog

    There was a light shower and I took this with my phone, it didn;t really come out though - there were a million little raindrops on each hair and all refracting the light like little prisms....



    Had to brighten these alot for it to be visible...

    This the top side, which was combed over to the offside as mane, which is now all separated and wispy and hanging down the wrong side because of the amount of hair growing up underneath...


    Umm





    Its so thick and short it won't lay down, it just stands bolt upright with the wispy bits sticking out in various places

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    7,598

    Default

    Amaaaazzzing mane
    ... more seriously, I am very jealous of your weaving in canter photos. I am going to buy some electric poles so we can practise at home. Generally, I don't practise for much, though I do ride. As IcarusGirl can testify I generally stop riding about a week before a big effort as it keeps Lance sweeter ...



  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    2,600

    Default

    Rips - Mocha's Mane is like a rock star's

    And I am very jealous of your handbrake turn - I realsie you have to stick to rules, but think you should've got marks for style and skill

    And BIrish - TT is looking good! He looks his size, but doesn't, I can't quite describe it

    I would love to try camp...I just don't have the guts
    Visit Mico

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    Amaaaazzzing mane
    ... more seriously, I am very jealous of your weaving in canter photos. I am going to buy some electric poles so we can practise at home. Generally, I don't practise for much, though I do ride. As IcarusGirl can testify I generally stop riding about a week before a big effort as it keeps Lance sweeter ...
    Its like a fecking sweeping brush growing out of her neck

    I know I keep meaning to set up some things at home, bamboo cane, guttering and some paint are what I need to do it on the cheap apparently!

    I made a mistake going into those actually, it doesn't matter which side you come in from rulewise.... and I came round on a left handed circle and went to the left of the first one? I expect it'd be easier done if I kept to the right of the first one, something to remember for again!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •