Thread: what training aids to use

Post what training aids to use

lm in the process of getting all the training aids etc lm gonna need for my youngster but lm not sure where to start as there are so many things available on the market what have others used?
    Also what bit did people use to start their youngster off on?
    l'll admit in regards to training and breaking in (really dont like that expression) a youngster lm very new to it as lve always been around older horses so any advice/ tips would be much appreciated

I always use a metal bit. Full cheek french link or a Cambridge snaffle tend to be my faves.

Regarding aids, i lunge straight off a bridle. A surcingle and side reins may be of help although i favour a bungee.
    Native pony addict!

All you need is headcollar and a lunge and whip. Side reins can be a help used with a surcingle.

We tend to go straight for what they will be ridden in. Generally something with a lozenge or French link, Full cheek is good for baby steering.........long reins is about the only thing extra to these we ever use for any of our lot.

I bitted Annie in a loose ring sweet iron with copper lozenge which she took to very well.

I agree with the others - the most you'll need is a bridle, lunge line, lunge whip, circingle and side reins. You could also get a lunging cavesson but Im not a fan and am happy to lunge in headcollars or bridles.

I try to keep things quite simple.

You can lunge off a headcollar, but will need a lunge rein and whip.
    A roller on top of an everyday saddlecloth/polypad.
    Some long reins if you wish to long rein.
    Straight bar rubber snaffle for mouthing then asap onto a full cheek bit for teaching stearing when long reining.
    A simple bridle needs only to consist of a headpiece and cheeks. This is easy to slip on and off/over a headcollar etc.
    You may want to put brushing boots on, but down to personal choice.

Not sure what else to add, just time, feel and lots of patience.
    Have fun

Other than what everyone else has said, a good instructor. No matter how much you may or may not know, a second pair of knowledgeable eyes is invaluable at times.

I second what everyone else it saying about full cheeks - great for baby steering, though I have found for sensitive souls a hanging cheek keeps the bit steadier in the mouth.

I wouldn't lunge a youngster off the bit - they can get upset at the pressure and lunging inherantly moves the bit in the mouth, not what you need with a baby...

Also I tend to stay away from gadgets - why complicate things?

Also how young is young? I would lunge a 4 year old but not a 3 year old - its too hard work for them. for a 3 year old I'd long line, and do this off the bit. It's actually more useful than lunging to be honest. I can't see the point in lunging until you want to establish canter... Long lining gets them to accept a contact better IMO and you can also thread the lines throuhg the stirrups and flap a bit so you can simulate leg aids.

See, i find lunging a very useful tool for all paces. I can see the horse which i find important. I also always lunge off the bit, with in excess of 25-30 horses and ponies done like that i've never encountered or caused a problem
    Native pony addict!