Thread: Is my black boy turning roan???

Default Is my black boy turning roan???

I have a welsh sec D who is rising 4 and has started to get white hairs in his coat. He has no grey in his background so greeting out isn.t a possibility. But could he be going roan? Not sure on the genetics of roaning...

Will be watching this with interest as Murphy had a few Grey hairs from around 4/5 yrs old and now at just turned 10 looks roan!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344367265.451223.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344367289.956131.jpg

roan horses have a solid coloured head and usually solid coloured lower legs. They stay the same degree of roan with time although winter and summer coats can show different degrees of roaning. Grey horses usually grey out first on the head.

He's definitely not going grey - there is no grey in his past at all. But then there's no roan either... I'm hoping it's those funny little sweat hairs that go when they get bathed. Guess what I'm going to be doing fairly soon? He also needs his sheath cleaned - not relishing doing this as he rather likes it and a frisky stallion is not my favourite beast

Quote Originally Posted by Teazle View Post
    roan horses have a solid coloured head and usually solid coloured lower legs. They stay the same degree of roan with time although winter and summer coats can show different degrees of roaning. Grey horses usually grey out first on the head.
    Can you get black roans then? I've never seen one before! Murph has always had quite alot of grey in him but it's more noticeable this year - maybe because he's not clipped this summer as not been warm enough to need it and it shows up better with a longer coat? He's not got any on his legs or head so would fit your description!

Quote Originally Posted by ILurfSmurf View Post
    Can you get black roans then? I've never seen one before! Murph has always had quite alot of grey in him but it's more noticeable this year - maybe because he's not clipped this summer as not been warm enough to need it and it shows up better with a longer coat? He's not got any on his legs or head so would fit your description!
    They're called Blue Roan

I actually love blue roans but I love my perfect black boy with 4 white socks more

Quote Originally Posted by Teazle View Post
    They're called Blue Roan
    Ahh thanks for that. Might have to change his show name from black magic to blueroan magic then

Fákur is black/brown in winter, roan in summer, black in autumn, he changes with the season.