Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Piebald....skewbald!??

  1. #11

    Default

    Sun bleaching is more prominent in horses with copper deficiency. With correct copper levels the coat will remain un bleached...or so I understand!
    THE EQUINE INFORMATION EXCHANGE Equine information, not speculation.

  2. #12

    Default

    Maybe I'm copper deficient then- my hair bleaches in the sun...

  3. #13

    Default

    Doesn't copper deficiency show as dull, rough, crinkly hairs though...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fife, Scotland.
    Posts
    7,873

    Default

    Could certainly be the sun, if you think about it, lots of people's hair bleaches on holiday/in the sun!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Downs
    Posts
    13,025

    Default

    Yep copper is linked to black horse going brown. http://www.horseandponydirect.com/20...a-horses-coat/

    Copper is often a deficient mineral and is pushed out by high iron in forage and food stuffs.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

  6. #16

    Default

    He wears a fly sheet a fair bit, more so than not anyway!

    Would it be worth giving him a vit&min supplement if he is showing signs of a deficiency!??

    R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Downs
    Posts
    13,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by holly&mickey View Post
    He wears a fly sheet a fair bit, more so than not anyway!

    Would it be worth giving him a vit&min supplement if he is showing signs of a deficiency!??
    The best thing to do, and the only way of knowing, is to get your forage analysed, if you supplement without knowing what they you may add something which is already high in the grass (such as iron) without knowing. Some people supplement just copper as it is so often low in forage.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    The best thing to do, and the only way of knowing, is to get your forage analysed, if you supplement without knowing what they you may add something which is already high in the grass (such as iron) without knowing. Some people supplement just copper as it is so often low in forage.
    Ok thanks yeah too much of a good thing isnt always best either!!

    R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Perthshire
    Posts
    10,237

    Default

    i think you'll just find he changes colour naturally in summer - i'm not convinced its sun bleaching due to where he is most brown - the flank where he'd not get too much direct sun

    if he's not on any vits and mins i'd def put him on a broad spectrum something (vits and mins, balancer yada yada yada) though

    HRH is bright bay in spring then goes darker throughout the year to be dark bay over winter - i was once told her brightest colour was sun bleaching - until they realised the pictures were a) in scotland b) in april and when she first shed

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    i think you'll just find he changes colour naturally in summer - i'm not convinced its sun bleaching due to where he is most brown - the flank where he'd not get too much direct sun

    if he's not on any vits and mins i'd def put him on a broad spectrum something (vits and mins, balancer yada yada yada) though

    HRH is bright bay in spring then goes darker throughout the year to be dark bay over winter - i was once told her brightest colour was sun bleaching - until they realised the pictures were a) in scotland b) in april and when she first shed
    There is that!! Admittedly Ted does change from dark bay in Summer to black in winter... Min is just black all year though!

    Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

    Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

    Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •