Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Piebald....skewbald!??

Sun bleaching is more prominent in horses with copper deficiency. With correct copper levels the coat will remain un bleached...or so I understand!
    THE EQUINE INFORMATION EXCHANGE Equine information, not speculation.

Maybe I'm copper deficient then- my hair bleaches in the sun...

Doesn't copper deficiency show as dull, rough, crinkly hairs though...

Could certainly be the sun, if you think about it, lots of people's hair bleaches on holiday/in the sun!

Yep copper is linked to black horse going brown. http://www.horseandponydirect.com/20...a-horses-coat/

Copper is often a deficient mineral and is pushed out by high iron in forage and food stuffs.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

He wears a fly sheet a fair bit, more so than not anyway!

Would it be worth giving him a vit&min supplement if he is showing signs of a deficiency!??

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by holly&mickey View Post
    He wears a fly sheet a fair bit, more so than not anyway!

Would it be worth giving him a vit&min supplement if he is showing signs of a deficiency!??
    The best thing to do, and the only way of knowing, is to get your forage analysed, if you supplement without knowing what they you may add something which is already high in the grass (such as iron) without knowing. Some people supplement just copper as it is so often low in forage.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    The best thing to do, and the only way of knowing, is to get your forage analysed, if you supplement without knowing what they you may add something which is already high in the grass (such as iron) without knowing. Some people supplement just copper as it is so often low in forage.
    Ok thanks yeah too much of a good thing isnt always best either!!

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

i think you'll just find he changes colour naturally in summer - i'm not convinced its sun bleaching due to where he is most brown - the flank where he'd not get too much direct sun

if he's not on any vits and mins i'd def put him on a broad spectrum something (vits and mins, balancer yada yada yada) though

HRH is bright bay in spring then goes darker throughout the year to be dark bay over winter - i was once told her brightest colour was sun bleaching - until they realised the pictures were a) in scotland b) in april and when she first shed

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    i think you'll just find he changes colour naturally in summer - i'm not convinced its sun bleaching due to where he is most brown - the flank where he'd not get too much direct sun

if he's not on any vits and mins i'd def put him on a broad spectrum something (vits and mins, balancer yada yada yada) though

HRH is bright bay in spring then goes darker throughout the year to be dark bay over winter - i was once told her brightest colour was sun bleaching - until they realised the pictures were a) in scotland b) in april and when she first shed
    There is that!! Admittedly Ted does change from dark bay in Summer to black in winter... Min is just black all year though!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.