Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reassure me I'm doing the right thing...

I wouldn't worry about it, just give him a bit longer & go back to basic daily handling & doing the stuff you've done before. I agree that he doesn't sound ready for backing & riding away yet & it certainly won't do any harm to give him a bit longer, for what it's worth I don't think you lose any time by giving them longer because when you do start they're more grown up & can take more in.

One thing I would say is that if you still have problems when you start doing more please get some help in rather than getting hurt yourself. If you have doubts he'll know & that alone could provoke a reaction, you need future experiences to be positive ones for both your sakes. I think he'll forget about it though, he was only in her care a fortnight & he's known you a lot longer & has plenty of positive experiences to fall back on.
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.

The fact he has reacted so violently to the incident suggests he is in a fragile place in his head and not totally ready in his mind.

I have turned some air heads away until they are 6. Once they were 6 a switch went on in their brain and away they went without further ado.

I'd turn him away - give him another year and see how he is. He will forget and another year is only going to to some good not harm.

In the meantime I'd hamstring the cousin and her friend.

I would turn away to let his mind settle, what a shame that all your hard work had been undone by someone else over phasing him.

One thing that I would add, is that I have found the welshies to be particularly sensitive souls, so whilst the break will help I think you may still have a fear to work him through even after a year. So maybe spend this year re-establishing your bond with him.

I'm sure he will come right, but it may still take some work with a dummy for him to understand that a weight on his back doesn't always mean a shock an discomfort.

Forget the sitting on him, even forget the leaning over him for now.

Still long rein him, groom him tack him up etc and then reback him next year. Treat him exactly as you did on the build up to you sitting on him over the winter and into Spring and then attempt the lean over, then sit up on him and then if he doesn't react get straight off him and build up the time you are on him very gradually.

Hopefully by doing everything you did in the build up to his 3rd birthday and you sitting on him will bring him back to that point mentally and he will have the chance to spend time with you and remember you didn't do anything to hurt him and be more relaxed about it next year.

I would also be hanging your cousin and her rather delightful friend!!!

Thanks guys a few of your posts made me laugh. What between this and my best friend stealing my man and putting her horses on my land then refusing to move them (another thread lol), I've just about had enough

I'm going to still turn him away but I won't rough him off - I'm going to continue with the ground work tacked up as he likes it. He's eager to do it he does silly things like if I lead sundae (4yo) over trotting poles in the field, he will follow

And yeah he's going to be gelded late autumn - I kept him entire as he has always been too laid back. He's less so now so no need for the balls

And the boy himself

Late last year as a 2yo

And now (less fat this year )

And the pic in the ad that sold him!!

I would leave him until spring, if you get really stuck the trainer that had tom has done an exemplory job and often takes on those that are fragile after a bad experience, hes not expensive and is very gentle x

He's lovely isn't he!!

Thanks BM they're a little bit more tricky with their nuts eh?

Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post
    He's lovely isn't he!!
    I think so but I'm biased

How's he bred?