Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally sitting on Shabby and walking forward a few steps..what's next?

It does sound like you're doing good you're doing pretty much everything i would except i dont use sidereins on youngsters.

I don't tie the stirrups either, i leave them loose and then you can open your arms to the side so the stirrups nudge. Gets them used to a nudge as well as the voice for walk on and trot on

It's fun isn't it?

[QUOTE=leanne;752082]It does sound like you're doing good you're doing pretty much everything i would except i dont use sidereins on youngsters.

I don't tie the stirrups either, i leave them loose and then you can open your arms to the side so the stirrups nudge. Gets them used to a nudge as well as the voice for walk on and trot on

ahh yes I suppose that makes sense about taking your arms wide and a nudge with the voice..it was a farrier that said to tie the stirrups so they dont flaparound. Perhaps that would of been first, then not to tie them lol! i remeber the baling twine coming undone once and the stirrps seemed to go all over the place and go up the line near to her head! I felt I'd lost control then. As to riding that is where I need to progress. I want to get her working forward nice and rounded before doing anything serious mounted. But I'm feeling it is the right time as it seemed a natural progression to take the plunge when I'd finished working her on lunge recently and tied her up to untack he,r and take her boots off, to actually jump on! I can now get on gently but with positiveness and now sit straight up without fear of her ears going back or swishing her tail etc..she just seems to look forward to her praise
    and OOHH YESS it's soo much fun!!! xxxx and I treasure this little horse

Quote Originally Posted by tasha View Post
    Didn't see the tied up bit, I wouldn't even do that with a broken in horse.
    Yeah I know it was very naughty , and as soon as I was on, it was unclipped. I had hold
    and stood still, telling her how good she was with a gentle stroke, that was when, as it was all going well decided to ask 'walk on' with a litttle squeeze and a halt after a couple of steps, then again then got off and gave loads of praise. It is a small undercover yard on a quiet farm so there was no risk of any other horses charging in unexpected...so quiet, you can hear what's going on. Unless my very noisy children are there then I wouldn't pick that time to do it.
    As she has been well behaved I plan to do it as a normal mount up now. The next step is to do it in the school but as I don't have a helper it will be more of a risk. Will play it all by ear and see what her mood is like every step of the way...I have vowed to never try something if I can't follow it through. She trusts me and I watch her signs all the time. xx