Thread: American Paint Horse?

Default American Paint Horse?

I'm tentatively looking into breeds for a new horse for my mother and we've come across the American Paint.

Anyone have any experience with them?
    Nags Equestrian- Tack made to your requirements.
    Find us on Facebook!

I understood these to be coloureds that aren't Irish and neck rein but I think they have bits of various American breeds in them, see if Jroz is about she might know?

American Paint is a breed on its own. "Pinto" is a colour, "Paint" is a breed. They're heavily influenced by American Quarter Horses and Thoroughbreds. Depending on the breeding, there's usually two types. A shorter (14-15hh), well muscled type built for short burst sped and agility (barrel racing, cattle penning, reining) and a taller (15-16) leaner, but still stocky type more fit for English disciplines. Both types make excellent all-rounders with usually fantastic temperaments though. Just make sure they're tested HYPP N/N, as HYPP tends to run in APHA horses.

As above - specific to the USA and a breed that was developed there. I'd imagine they'd be quite hard to find over here. I wouldn't worry overly about breed tbh unless you're wanting a specific breed for showing purposes or to do a specific job e.g. arabs for endurance. There are good and bad examples temperament-wise in any breed - a bit like buying a dog.

There's a few Paint horse studs around in the UK and Ireland.
    Nags Equestrian- Tack made to your requirements.
    Find us on Facebook!