Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first sit on Vega

Default My first sit on Vega

Its hard to believe its been 10weeks, I just think she looks even more like such a baby. She's 4.5 next month.

I can't see the photo but how exciting time has flown from when she was born
    no-one died of a fast trot
    A member of the Secret Sausage Society

Nottingham (Uni)/Llandrindod Wells (Home)

She is lovely!

I always think they look really babyish again when they first get backed, even though they look so grown up beforehand!

Can't see piccie, but very exciting!
    Native pony addict!

Brilliant, you look very happy cant say the same for Vega lol, but least the look is not amused rather than whats mum doing up there it sort of looks a bit like, "oh damm is this what work life is about"

great pic, and very exciting!

Aww bless her!

Wow yeah!!! She looks lovely - she definitely looks like she's going to grow some more as well You must be so proud!

Lovely pic, she looks very relaxed. although I'm pretty sure that Vega thinks that a photo of her, being ridden and all, is just oh so demeaning. How could you?!
    Seeking a 14-17hh schoolmaster allrounder to loan/lwvtb/buy for kind & experienced rider/carer in Surrey. Must be safe but a '2nd' horse is fine.

Poor hoss - she's just in denial - 10weeks ago she was wild as the hills no matter, we'll just be doing fun stuff for a good while, and she'll have a good break over winter.

I can't say she had the most pleasing of expressions to start with, but the ears definitely went back more when the camera came out! I have more pics, I just didn't have time to post them!

Its unfortunate I think she was going through a summer growing spurt when I dropped her off, and the work seems to have but a stall on it... she's got the weirdest proportions ever.

Things that have changed...
    She never had much of a wither, and now she has a big one. She has a weird projection between her ears like her head is growing. And she's really really narrow infront compared to the rest, so definitely still growing to do I think! Makes me so so glad I didn't do anything with her any younger.

The day I dropped her off

1.5weeks in

BTW I haven't ridden since my fall and have an injection reaction going on in the muscle of my bum, which makes even sitting down uncomfortable!!

Yesterday, she's been there 10weeks, trainer gave me a leg up and there was no reaction at all. Not delighted, but no badness in her.

Yay it won't kill me! Its bored!

Legs still coming out the one hole

We weren't altogether keen on the whip waving! Just a little sidestep and a cross face

Her walk feels alot like Mocha's but thats about where it stops!

She's still as green as grass, she has a nice light mouth, but our steering is still hit and miss, and we don't go very well off the leg yet either. I used my whip lightly one or twice to back up light leg aids, because I don't like having to use a lot of leg, forward off the leg is the key to everything!

Rode her in walk and trot in the arena, little wobbly, didn't feel at all unsafe or nervous about her ... but sort of unsettled because she was being SO good, surely she is going to lambast me into the arena fence at any minute... surely?

Then we went for a little hack around the gallops, they've had her down there once as its been too wet. We rode halfway around, mostly walk, a little trot. There were some quite large puddles, or lakes rather... stretched across some of the track, she wanted to veer onto the grass, but I didn't let her, and she walked in then no hesitation, bit stompy, splashed herself in the face and threw her head up once and then settled but the next puddles were fine.

We got onto a bit of dry track and I took her out in front to ask for a canter, took a little bit of getting together but once she got her stride ... very big canter! Very wobbly also! The she spied the T-pees, and we were wobbling in a veer, but she lept cantering past them... that'd be a bit like Mocha too! Had a little canter behind our buddy horse on the way back, certainly a little keener, but kept behind.

BIrish took these pics on our way back to the yard (where I had a little canter for the camera )

Now she just needs to fill out so she looks like this from any angle... and not disappear when she turns sideways

Some pics of yardgirl riding for me to see, light was a bit better as the sun wasn't glaring, my camera skills were not, too busy watching!

My attempts at trying to photograph and watch cantering at the same time...