Thread: Turning away for the winter.

Default Turning away for the winter.

How many of you do this?
    I backed my 4 yr old in February and had her riding away within the week. I then turned her away for a couple of months because she was still quite underweight. She came back in to full work in May and has learned to hack and jump and has been out this summer. She is now up to a very good weight but I still feel she is quite immature and is still.growing a lot.
    She was in a very bad state when I bought her last year and looked more like a rising 3 year old than a rising 4.
    I'm at a cross roads with her at the moment. She seems mature enough now to cope with work etc, but as working them can be a bit hit and miss in the winter, would I be better to just turn her away for a bit as I won't be able to keep her in a constant routine. Or just keep on muddling through?
    She is a very forward going and thinking pony.
    What do you guys do with your breakers in the winter?

If she's immature and still growing I'd personally turn away and just do basic handling OR alternatively light hack through the winter to keep her brain busy..

That's just me though.. My 2yo is much more mature than my 3yo who will have at least another year before I consider getting on him..

i'd def turn away - i do anyway for a couple of months every year - i think whatever age they are its beneficial for them to have down time

Default Re: Turning away for the winter.

I give all my horses a break after Christmas.

This year I've got a 3 yr old who will be kept in some light work until the weather changes and I have to start feeding hay again as hes getting a portly.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

If she's immature and maybe still growing I'd agree with turning away for the winter. The odd hack wouldn't do any harm. When mine are turned away I bring the odd one in for a potter to keep them thinking, and stop them getting too fresh if they are that way inclined. But with the younger ones/breakers I always give them a proper break.
    "Though he be but little he is fierce"

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    i'd def turn away - i do anyway for a couple of months every year - i think whatever age they are its beneficial for them to have down time
    My friend turns her away every year for January at least, if not Feb too.

I'm going to be turning my mare away for Jan this time too, as she's never had any time turned away as such.

Any horse I thought was still a bit immature and still growing I'd definitely turn away, or just do very light basic work.