Thread: Making a whole lesson out of 1 jump! Great exercise for keeping your jumping canter.

Default Making a whole lesson out of 1 jump! Great exercise for keeping your jumping canter.

Yesterday I took Enormo-horse to a lesson with a new trainer who has just set up a new facility about 20mins from me (old one has moved ) There were 2 groups of us that booked. 5 in each group.

Was a bit daunting as NT and his plus 1 are top level SJ'ers for their respective countries (Ireland & Sweden) and are regular Nations Cup and National Team members - and there are TT and I, just wanting to not to make fools of ourselves locally at 1m - 1.05m

Needn't have worried - they were LOVELY! The lesson though.. I don't know if Enormo or I have been that physically and mentally taxed ever and 75mins vastly upped our game. Over one fence! And it was a very small fence!

We concentrated on rhythm and the right canter. But first we had to get the right walk, the right trot and the right transition to canter. Then we had a tutorial about timing. Once in canter it was all about quality. No props like poles to help us, just our own efforts.

DOB speaks quietly to you the entire time you ride a movement, encouraging, asking questions, making suggestions - I think you go into a trance! The result was a big leap towards the perfect jumping pace. It felt fantastic! The trick is keeping it whatever happens, you need lightening fast reflexes (which I don't have ) to adjust and re-balance ensuring you re-gain your canter as quickly as possible. It was really hard work for horses and riders, especially on a sharp, revved up TT

When we had all made strides (see what I did there ) towards the pace we wanted a jump was introduced. Just a simple upright of planks. We warmed up by jumping it off an easy stride. Then he moved it. So you were jumping it off a diagonal from the outside track. It sounds easy.. it's not. Even at a tiny 70cm we had a faller, 2 refusals and a bogging off (none of which was TT & I thank goodness!) as people lost their balance, their energy or their concentration.

As the lesson progressed the fence moved several times to a slightly more acute angle, meaning your canter had to be right - this simple exercise gives a fantastic sense of feel and timing to a fence as when you ride it right it's extremely obvious - and the same when you ride it wrong

Diagram show where the fences started and moved around. It's definitely something I will continue to do at home. If anyone is trying to improve and practice maintaining the jumping canter this is excellent - and pretty simple - you just need to set the fence on a definite stride from the approach and get the right canter Next lesson eagerly awaited - won't be for a couple of weeks as I have other competition commitments and my lessons have to fit around his (more fancy!) competitive commitments.

We started with jumping (1) which was a relatively easy approach on the 3/4 line (hard to keep straight but otherwise straightforward) then we moved on the jumping (2), (3) and then 4 which was the hardest, off a corner, then an angled approach - very hard to maintain the canter with both of those factors but when you have the right energy coming into the corner it can be done

Jump Diagram here :

Only 1 pic of Enormo from yesterday and no jumping ones

Nice pic of NT and the rest of the Irish Team (he's the Army Rider )

Last edited by BIrish; 16-09-2012 at 11:05.

I think I would die! Looks like very hard work but I bet it would stand you in great stead.

God I'm knackered just reading that! Sounds like you learnt a lot though, which is a great feeling and you should be about 6 stone by the time he's finished with you!

Quote Originally Posted by palmerlover52 View Post
    I think I would die! Looks like very hard work but I bet it would stand you in great stead.
    We stayed to watch the next lesson partially because I was too knackered to drive straight away! Although while we were watching one of the riders' OH did a MaccyD's run for us as we were starving! I figured I could have a Large Big Mac meal after all that and not suffer calorie consequences

It was fantastic though, worth the pain

Quote Originally Posted by cookster1975 View Post
    God I'm knackered just reading that! Sounds like you learnt a lot though, which is a great feeling and you should be about 6 stone by the time he's finished with you!
    LOL - I was wrecked! Absolutely wrecked- inner thighs have some kind of rigor mortis today from keeping a light seat in canter for that long I think horse can have a nice easy lunge later - don't think either of us are able for anything more strenuous today.

Sounds like an amazing lesson. I think sometimes the simplest things are the most effective - i.e. you could do 4 or 5 jumps in a lesson and not learn as much as just concentrating on 1!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/JuniperZ/Dunkery%20Hoopoe/Hoopysignature.jpg

Default Making a whole lesson out of 1 jump! Great exercise for keeping your jumping canter.

That looks fab. !

Sounds great! There's nothing better than a damn good jumping lesson with a good instructor
    Native pony addict!

Brilliant! Will have a try if Darcy ever stops being on box rest

Oh and TT says he needs dead sheep.

'Like' my Facebook page for offers and more information! http://www.facebook.com/PollyGodsafeMcTimoneyEssex

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdTimeLucky View Post
    Brilliant! Will have a try if Darcy ever stops being on box rest

Oh and TT says he needs dead sheep.
    nah - dead sheep is for poncey poncey stressage riders
    the enormo one needs lots of leather boots strapped to him and one of those ear things that looks like a 19th century milk jug cover lol
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/