Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Foal Preparations?!

Default New Foal Preparations?!

Hi all. Some of you might know that I've agreed a sale on a lovely little 6 month old Andalusian filly. I got an email from the stud earlier telling me that she's taken to weaning very well and they're happy for her to come to me as early as the end of the week (wasn't due until early October).
    Now I'm getting myself into a bit of a faff. I'm always the type to forget something and I'm VERY disorganised. When I bought Tia nothing much changed as she stayed at the same yard but this is the first youngster I'll have spent more than a few hundred quid on and will be a total change for her and for me.
    She'll be living out with Tia on a lovely 3 and a half acre field and, all going well, will live out all year round like what Tia has done.
    I'm just wondering if there's anything I'll need specifically on arrival or what I should be doing in particular in the first few days? I was going to buy her a rug, not sure if she'll need it, but don't know what size she'll be until I measure her.

Excited and worried at the same time! Don't want to forget something for her to suffer. Tia and I just pretty much got on with it but I feel there's a bit more pressure and she could be slightly higher maintenance than Tia, who is pretty much just like a very independent big dog!

And breathe
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Sorry no help with the preparation, but congrats! Make sure you get some pictures! Maybe you could just start with a rain sheet when you have measure her?

i measured grace with a leadrope and went into robinsons and presented said leadrope and asked the to measure it

so im sure you cant do worse than that!

dont wory - she will love living out - im a massive fan of everything living out - especially youngsters

All I'd do would be put foal in field and leave them to get on with it! I certainly wouldn't rug until much later in the season.

I'd never rug a foal - I think it important for them to learn how to regulate body temperature by food and exercise rather than let us put a rug on. If you drive through Newmarket you won't see a single foal with a rug on all winter, regardless of the weather. I have the perfect example (my warmblood) of how horses can't cope in later life with temperature extremes due to overugging as a baby.

With regards to other things, to be honest I'd make sure she is getting enough food - perhaps something like foal creep or sure grow, to ensure she gets plenty of vitamins and minerals. Teach her to have her feet handled, lead and load easily (always like to teach babies to load as if god forbid there was an accident/emergency you don't have to worry about getting them on a trailer/lorry) and other than that put her in a field and let her be a baby.

Wormer and a headcollar should be all you need right now

To be fair I don't really know WHY i'm panicking as I've done it all before. Tia only wore a rug a couple of times when the weather was dire and she didn't have much shelter.. and she's turned out alright! despite my mum howling at me that "she needs her coat on".
    Apparently she's already leading fine, has been branded (due to the breed), wormed a couple of days ago and all her paperwork is in order so she's mine when I want to go and get her. Must say I am VERY excited, especially now I've seen pictures of her brothers and sisters

Oh, for those interested, this is her full sister at 3 years old. Rare coat colour passed on from their dad.
    Last edited by YASMiN___X0; 24-09-2012 at 14:05.
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I went OTT when I bought River - she had a teeny headcollar, lead rope, grooming kit and feed bucket of her own before she even arrived I ended up with a few second hand rugs passed down from a friend, but none of them fitted for quite a while. She wore a rug in the February I think for a couple of weeks because she had a touch of rain scald and we had no access to a stable at that point, but otherwise I would have left her rugless.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

I dont think you need anything gear-wise, really, bar a headcollar to fit.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I've been speaking to the stud owner and she is highly recommending that I stable her for a few days when she arrives. I had intended on just turning her out into the fields with Tia. There is plenty of shelter and there are going to be loose boxes built in the future, but none as of right this moment. I can understand she will be tired after her journey but will it be awful to just have her turned out?
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥