Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rugging up!

Default Rugging up!

What's the best way to get my 16month youngster used to wearing rugs? Mainly for when he's out in the torrential rain we seem to be getting quite a lot of

I put it over his back today and he seemed ok...bit wide eyed but that's it!
    Is it just a case of putting it on and letting him get used to it?!?

Cheers (:

i just puta rug on my 2 year old and let her get on wit hit....

her tantrum followed and she just lay in mud and didnt do a lot else

took her a while to decide to get back up!!!

she loves her rug now we can take it on and off with no fuss

Default Rugging up!

Monty has always been quite nervy- when I got him it took 3 of us to get a headcollar on him....in a stable!!
    For the first year of his life he had no human contact, he's now starting to be quite nosey, lets me touch him all over, still learning with feet, he's turning into a lovely little coblet, can still be funny around people he doesn't know...unless they have carrots!

I just don't want to freak him out and have him injure himself!

I'd only had him a week when I arrived at the yard to find him trotting about with half the fence trailing behind him and my little Shetland standing with a bemused look on her face.....

ahhh

mine was virually unhandled - and i stuck a fly sheet on her within a week - and 3 weeks in she wore a roller etc

i have the attitude of "just geton with it"...

if you can get a rug on - just leave him too it (supervised just in case)!

mabey start with the rug over the door - and then start moving it - half it over im - his back/quarters etcv (i did the half thing then it just went on)!

this was also stood out in a field not tiedup!

Jim nearly created a new back door to the stable when introduced to a rug, with him it was a case of taking it slowly - folded towels, unfolded towels etc etc & letting him have a good look & paw at rugs. Little Un didn't give a monkey's - when I tried to show it to him he pushed it out the way because it was stopping him getting to his hay, when I put it on he didn't even flick an ear & when I made him walk round so he felt it his only concern was getting bac to the hay!

Play it by ear, they let you know how well they're coping.
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.

I just shove on. Sometimes us humans cause more problems than we solve by over thinking and faffing!
    Native pony addict!

I put Annie's on and left her to it. She was fine, but since then when Ive put it on her she has protested by throwing herself to the ground and rolling I just stand out the way and let her get on with it - she's never got it off and once she's got the strop out her system she settles back to the more important task of eating.

Depending on the horse I let them get on with it too. But I do put it on when they've got a headcollar and leadrope on too, then lead them around in it before setting them free. If they really object then you can quickly take hold and get it off them before they damage themselves. There's been very few that I've needed to do anything more than a quick circle of the yard.

Default Rugging up!

One of my youngsters I could just sling a rug on and he was fine. The other we had to take very slowly as he'd of flipped. It all depends on the horse. If he is the nervous type I wouldn't just throw it on else he'll be traumatised for life. Just practise putting it over his back and taking it off. Gradually start to flap it a bit. We used a fake hand for leg straps as our appy would kick badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I just shove on. Sometimes us humans cause more problems than we solve by over thinking and faffing!

Totally agree. You want the horse to look to you for confidence and if you say the rug is fine, it's fine!