Thread: When would/did you buy a saddle?

Default When would/did you buy a saddle?

Just wondering really!

Alfie is 3 tomorrow but I have no plans to sit on him untill next summer as relisticaly that will be a better age for him, i'll be a bit lighter and the weather will be better and give me more time.
    I still have Indy's saddle which i've kept for it to either fit the next horse after him or be sold/part-exchanged for the new saddle. Now, oviusly I don't need it now but would like suggestions of when I should think about getting one?
    How much long-reining etc should I do with it before hand? He's had Indy's sat on him and wasnt botherd so it shouldnt take much I dont think to get him used to it but will wearing a saddle for long reining and lunging effect how he muscles up differently? I want bare this in mind too.

And i'm aware he will grow/change shape again before next summer!

If I start looking next spring or early summer do you think that would be best?
    I'm only asking now so it gives me pleanty of chance to save up some pennies!
    If I had nothing but I still had my horse and my Teddy, I'd still have everything I ever needed.

Indy.

River did some light long-reining at 2 and a half in a roller, purely because she loved her walks out in-hand but was getting a bit boisterous!

I bought her a cheap (20-odd) Thorowgood on eBay around her third birthday, but it was literally used for getting her used to the idea of being saddled, and we did a bit of long-reining work in it over the summer. I sat on her (literally sat without any moving) last autumn a couple of times.

Now that she's four, she's chunked up a fair bit, so my plan is to part exchange it for something cheap and cheerful and probably adjustable, unless this Thorowgood turns out to adjust! To be honest, I'm holding off buying her a "nice" saddle until she's five or six, because she's still got a fair bit of growing to do.

Personally, I think I'd leave it until next spring and if you want one for doing ground work in, why not see if you can borrow one or buy one cheaply to give him that bit of experience at saddling?
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

That's it, i'm happy to just do his longreining in his roller untill next spring but just wanted to see what others had done.
    He'll then get a cheap one for a while for backing and will probably then grow out of that pretty quickly i'd have thought but will see how it goes? I'm the same, I don't to but a lovely saddle and fall in love with it and spend loads on it, just to have to sell it soon after
    If I had nothing but I still had my horse and my Teddy, I'd still have everything I ever needed.

Indy.