Thread: Milton Keynes 3 day event report

Default Milton Keynes 3 day event report

Phew! We survived! And actually had a lot of fun I'm so glad we did it as it was a massive confidence boost and I'm so proud of how well my lad coped with it all.

Had a bit of a difficult time beforehand as Bril had a hind leg injury and we were fighting time to get him fit again, but we managed it There was me worrying about fitness but there were some huge ponies there which I wasn't sure would make it round!

Scores first, then pictures:
    Trot up was comical- for those of you who don't know Bril, he is a Paso Fino (south american gaited breed, which don't naturally trot), which confused the vets on the trot up immensely! The commentator kindly described him as looking like 'a lady trying to run in her high heels on a saturday night out, a bit drunk'!! We got asked to trot twice so the vets could have a good look at him, with one vet videoing it on his phone to show his colleagues later! Passed fine though

Dressage 40 penalties - warmed up nicely early on, then just felt a bit less forward the closer we got to the test, but managed a half decent run through with a bit of a dodgy right canter chuffed with the score however as this was a decent 60% overall- so I was rather impressed as we lost a fair few marks for the trot movements but pulled them up elsewhere.

Cross country - long set of phases!
    Phase A is the 'warm up', 4km in just under 20mins -
    We got 6 time penalties (which i would dispute, I think I came in ten seconds early, but never mind) - we could have gone much faster easily if I had thought I might go over the time- you live and learn...
    Phase B is the Steeplechase, with big wide white fences to guide you in (aka terrify the pony!)-
    All clear here, they kept suggesting to ride in gently in trot, which I completely ignored and just went like a bat out of hell at them (as per XC lesson the week before), he backed off the first a bit but with encouragement flew it, and then powered off around the rest with no problems
    Straight into Phase C which is a mini cool down before the XC, 2.3km in 14 mins-
    This was fine, we cantered down then trotted then strolled the last bit and trotted into the vet check (different vet, he was confused, had to trot twice-glad I had my support crew CER and co to explain things to everyone!!!) No penalties.
    Phase D is the actual XC course- 50 penalties for this bit-
    We got nearly started (within 10 seconds) on three occasions but there were several false buzzers for a hold on the course. I think we both got so relaxed I didn't really ride into the first fence and it took Bril by surprise so we had a stop/crash into fence there Circled, re-presented and flew. Downhill to number two and had to shout to my granny as she was walking past it and not paying a jot of attention- didn't want her to miss me having come all that way to watch!! Flew that and then onwards, over a few substantial 2ft3 fences, no problems over the corner (which had a longer option). Had another stop at number 8, not really sure what happened there, probably I just stopped riding....carried on and no problems with a few more technical angles into fences etc, skinny no problem, drop over the barrels all fine. through the water and then back up the long hill home. chair fine, steps fine, houses on an angle he flew and then log and feeder- home!
    So 20 faults for each stop and then a consequent 10 time faults. Not too shabby for our first time really and lots learnt

Course:

Our first steeplechase jump

No 2:

No 19:

Showjumping on the final day was a nice 2ft3 course, a few fillers and planks with a few spreads but nothing nasty- clear and fast!
    Bril warmed up really calmly, totally chilled. Entered ring and became the sort of manic jumping machine you see at shows and just cross your fingers and hope they make it round all the turns without falling over :/ I tried my best to calm it down, but was mostly there for steering apparently! But we made it, not without the odd tap on his outside shoulder as he ignored my turn and leg etc and just cantered sideways. He had a lot of fun that's for sure!

And some general photos from the weekend!

Team!

Sleepy pony:

These are the pro pics my mum bought me Courtesy of Ultimate Images

Edited to add: We cam 14th overall out of 30, with 96 penalties!

Massive thanks to CER, Stef, Lorraine and Sarah for all their help, plus mum and grandparents for cheering and grandad for photos so far Am still awaiting pics from CER and Stef Also lovely to see Rosie from here who I spotted as I approached fence number 4 grinning madly! I think she had a vid too...
    Last edited by shoniedaspony; 28-09-2012 at 10:01.

oh mega fab stuff!!!

Looks like a brilliant day and fantastic result to boot.

Will you be going again next year ?

Great report - well done you!!

Did you see Buddy (my old horse)? He was there doing INT I think...

Quote Originally Posted by essexlady View Post
    oh mega fab stuff!!!

Looks like a brilliant day and fantastic result to boot.

Will you be going again next year ?
    Thanks
    I will be going again next year, if I can afford to!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Great report - well done you!!

Did you see Buddy (my old horse)? He was there doing INT I think...
    I don't think so- I watched a bit of the intermediate XC but don't recall seeing Buddy...CER might have spied him maybe

I have been waiting for this

Was lovely to meet you and CER - and Bril is lovely!!

I have 2 short vids (one includes the commentator explaining the lady in a tight dress comment ) I will upload them later on - may need you to PM me your email address as Im not sure how to upload videos on here.

great report, glad you all enjoyed it!

I think I have only just recovered from Milton Keynes I'm quite used to grooming at events, groomed at MK3DE a few years ago, regularly groom at BE's. On Monday I shall be the only groom at an event, where my friend is competing 2 INT horses. So I'm quite used to it ... yet nothing prepares you for how mentally and physically exhausting MK3DE is!

I don't have much more to add to Shona's report, aside from how proud of them both I am. I first met Shona 5ish years ago, when her and Bril still struggled cantering 20m circles ... so to complete MK3DE with a competitive score is a major achievement.

I didn't get many photos as I was running around like a lunatic doing god only knows what, whilst my camera sat comfortably in the caravan () however, here are a few that I did get.

Bril in his presumptuous rug:

A trot up of sorts:

If you pose cutely for the vets, they ignore that you can't trot:

Bril attempted the same ploy with the dressage judge:

Showjumping:

I do feel there is one detail Shona forgot, and it's possibly the most important one. It shows just how seriously we took this cross country thing
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

Default Milton Keynes 3 day event report

Oh wow. Well done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CER View Post

I do feel there is one detail Shona forgot, and it's possibly the most important one. It shows just how seriously we took this cross country thing
    To put this in context: his full name is Brillante de 5 Star- hence the 5 stars on tshirts, and his boots

Here are 2 vids from the XC day- kindly taken by Rosie on here

In the first, you can hear the commentator explaining he looks like a lady running in a short skirt and high heels
    http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/v...urrent=080.mp4

http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/v...urrent=081.mp4