Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bishop Burton ODE Report **PICS+VIDS**

Default Bishop Burton ODE Report **PICS+VIDS**

So, this one was a bit more exciting than the standard event as it would be my first ever overnight competition (I've been with others but not when I'm competing), and my first chance to properly use the wagon for an overnight stay! Plus on top, the excitement of doing the competition itself!

We set off about 12.30-1pm on Saturday and arrived about 3.30pm at Bishop Burton. I wasn't sure about what to do when I got there but soon found Thomas' stable. So I got him off the box and put him in the stable, with a treat of some Horse Hage - which he obviously LOVED! It is outside stabling, and Thomas is used to being stabled in an indoor barn. I popped his cotton sheet on while I sorted out all my bits and went off to walk the XC...

There had been an accident in the 100's so a hold on course, and a delay to the RF that was running that evening. But I walked the course in the low sunshine, and it looked really nice and inviting, nothing too much to worry about, apart from a sharp and tight right hand turn at 13a to b. I took a photo of all the fences, which you'll see on the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c37397d90f

Anyway, back to the stables about 5.30ish to plait Thomas for the next day - we were on at 8.33am.

OH stayed with me until I'd finished plaiting, and then off he went to prepare the dinner! He'd got some really yummy beef stews from M&S that come in a can and boil in the bag rice, so he just cooked them on the camp stove. It was quite good actually!

I changed Thomas' rug after tea to a HW indoor rug so he was as snug as a bug in a rug!!!

We'd taken the laptop with us and a DVD so we packed the wagon up, and sat and watched that, before getting the air bed out and watching the rest all tucked up. I didn't think I would get a good night's sleep, but was lovely and warm all night and woke up about 6am as people started to arrive and get up and about.

Competition Report
    So, OH did all the stud, just small ones needed really. Tacked up and headed for the DR. Thomas was really bouncey and joggy all the way down to the warm up, especially past the SJ arena. I really did want a struggle with him, and didn't want my test to be as stiff and tense as Hutton, but actually he settled really well, although a little lazy, but I'd rather him be relaxed.
    Went in the arena, and he did a nice test, he is so sensitive in his mouth, he seems to hollow easily trot-walk and in the halt, but we're working on it. He missed one of my canter aids on the left after the diagonal change, but got it second attempt. Overall, I was pleased to be back to a relaxed test.
    Score = 37
    The video is below, but they wouldn't let OH come down by the arena, so it's not great footage - we are the middle horse, in front of the blue small car:

SJ went well, although the warm up was quite tight to turn onto the fences, so it was difficult to get a good warm up of kicking round the corner and into the fence.
    The person before me had three stops at 3 which was big bright rainbow fillers, so I knew I needed to kick for this.
    He was a bit lazy into 1, and backed off 2, but was actually fine with number 3. However, had a wobble into 4, I lost my rhythm and I don't think Thomas was 100% sure I wanted to go over the fence, and almost stopped but got a big smack and he lept it, but caught it, and over 4b he charged a bit. He went a little wild after the smack, but that's what he needed a little! He just caught number 5, but ultimately those 3 down were because I lost the rhythm and gave him a smack. He went clear for the rest of the round, so I was pleased.
    Here's the video, please ignore OH bad language and comments!

XC was ace! With the run out at Hutton, a couple of people had asked if it was because I was going too fast, but I didn't think it was, however, I decided to have a steady round this time and get no more 20's! He flew everything, and we even made the dreaded turn at 13, plus I obliterated the number badge at 15... whoops!
    Here's the videos:
    Out the start box and over the first three:

Up the hill to number 11:

Over 14 and into the woods at 15:

Coming down the hill (steadily!!) and over the last:

Then, all the photos, can be found here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c37397d90f

All in all a great day. We finished on 54.2 - picking up 5.2 time pens. Would have loved to have finished under 50, but were still working on it!!

On to Askham Bryan this weekend!! Last one of the season

well done, sounds like a great weekend!

well done

great report and best of luck for your last one!

I went to last one grooming for friends .... wasn't such a good day one w/d before xc and other retired xc in advanced. Boy was the track causing issues!!

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Default Bishop Burton ODE Report **PICS+VIDS**

Fab well done. Love the vids and love the OH commentary lol, my OH used to do this lol,he's gotten used to keeping his mouth shut now ha ha. A girl at our yard does BE and she has only managed to get to 2 events this year due to weather and exams, she's gutted. Bet you're looking forward to your next event and next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toby-Toes View Post
    well done, sounds like a great weekend!
    It was fab - and really exciting to be away overnight - that sounds so sad I know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    well done

great report and best of luck for your last one!

I went to last one grooming for friends .... wasn't such a good day one w/d before xc and other retired xc in advanced. Boy was the track causing issues!!
    At BB? There is nothing higher than Intermediate?

Quote Originally Posted by bexnstar View Post
    Fab well done. Love the vids and love the OH commentary lol, my OH used to do this lol,he's gotten used to keeping his mouth shut now ha ha. A girl at our yard does BE and she has only managed to get to 2 events this year due to weather and exams, she's gutted. Bet you're looking forward to your next event and next season.

Yes, looking forward to this weekend too!! Can't wait in fact. If this one runs, I'll have been lucky enough to do 4 this season (was entered for 5 but rain abandoned) and I've only been affiliated since August! I'm lucky compare to a lot... But bring on next season!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    At BB? There is nothing higher than Intermediate?
    No no we are down south, last event for friend was Little Downham. There were going to travel down to Pau but pony is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    No no we are down south, last event for friend was Little Downham. There were going to travel down to Pau but pony is lame.
    Same with my friend, she was in for a run at Burghley but horse had bad knee - never lame, just swollen. Had scans, xrays etc on it, nothing really showing. Bizarre! She was hoping to go to Pau, but knee carried on, so turned away until after Xmas.

fantastic well done you - you guys are coming on leaps and bounds
    fingers crossed for you for next weekend x

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Same with my friend, she was in for a run at Burghley but horse had bad knee - never lame, just swollen. Had scans, xrays etc on it, nothing really showing. Bizarre! She was hoping to go to Pau, but knee carried on, so turned away until after Xmas.
    Really bizarre ..... also in that knee is the issue here too, but we know what it is. He fell as a youngster and now has arthritis, they knew it was really going to effect him one day, just didn't think it would be at 12!

Blumming horses!

Well done, great report writing!
    Native pony addict!