Thread: XC phase of events / Hunter Trials - bogey times

Default XC phase of events / Hunter Trials - bogey times

Just a few questions about time limits/optimum times on ODEs/HTs. I am talking local/unaffiliated ones. Seems to be that the timings are all different and I never quite know what to expect.

How exactly are you expected to ride if a time limit isn't given in advance (e.g. a bogey time) - is there a standard pace which is usually set, or is it just a hope for the best sort of thing? It doesn't seem consistent (in my limited experience) as some we have been well under, some nearly over?

I ended up a minute UNDER the optimum time at my last ODE, 3m33s when the bogey optimum was 4m34...I did a steady round on a 14hh pony, taking it easy as it was wet and slippy. Those who trotted a lot seemed to be spot on with the timings? This pushed me down from 4th to 7th, and want to do what I can to improve

Tbh you get to know the venues and their foibles, but here it's often dependent on the level of competition.
    E.g. I find up to about 2ft6, I have to take it at a steady pace with lots of canter and not too much galloping.
    Over 2ft6 I need to go for a hunting pace with some serious galloping on the stretches to make the time (on a 14,2hh). Seeing as mI came in with best optimum time at the last 2 events at a same venue I was at, I figured I've worked it out for that particular location Generally, I need to gallop a lot if competiion is geared towards horses (not ponies!).

I did a 2"3 hunter trial last month and I was 42 second slow but clear and got 6th, I went round at a fair active canter.... I find you either are spot on and well off and wonder why

Pretty lucky round here as most venues are BE courses and therefore follow mpm

under 2'9 norm around 350 mpm (350 is spot on Scoobs forward canter)

2'9-3'0 is intro 450mpm (push scoob for it)

Most places really should disclose mpm

Once at HT god knows what they did with timing we worked it out that apparently on Scoob I did a 2'9 at 500mpm that's novice speed! wtf. I do semi give up with their time keeping. ODEs round us seem better.

Best thing to do is measure out like 500m or something and time yourself over it at a normal canter, faster canter and gallop. Then you can work out his mpm for the different paces.

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post

Most places really should disclose mpm

Once at HT god knows what they did with timing we worked it out that apparently on Scoob I did a 2'9 at 500mpm that's novice speed! wtf. I do semi give up with their time keeping. ODEs round us seem better.

Best thing to do is measure out like 500m or something and time yourself over it at a normal canter, faster canter and gallop. Then you can work out his mpm for the different paces.
    Have done all of that as needed speeds for Milton Keynes - so I know roughly what we are at...

Nowhere local I have seen shows them... maybe I jump too small

Most places won't advertise the bogey time so you might have to ask them so you know what speed to choose!

Most ODE's will go by BE's mpm but yet again I'd check with them first. Annoying but the only way you can know for sure

A lot of unaff ODE/Show X choose not to set a time to prevent people from really bombing about, and when I have set times they make them quite easily attainable so you don't need to be galloping about. I know that this is part of XC BUT I've seen many people going in what I would describe as a dangerous manner around unaff XC...