Thread: Askham Bryan Report **Pics & Vids**

Talking Askham Bryan Report **Pics & Vids**

So, Askham Bryan was yesterday...and after loving my weekend away at Bishop Burton last week, I was really excited!! It is the last event of this season, so I knew I wanted a great day out, but to finish on a good and confident note!

I had a great support team; my instructor, her husband and her little boys came all the way to watch, help & support. I also had my good friend Lizzie travel down with us and help me all day. Then I had some family friends come to watch, but due to a long wait after dressage, had to leave before SJ. I also had other family friends who lived not far away and I hadn't seen for a long time come and support. Their little girl is horsey mad, so she was thrilled at spending the day with Thomas (who loved all the extra attention!)

Anyway, it's about a 2 hour drive down, and we were a little later than I wanted to leave, but got there in plenty of time. It was a beautiful cold, crisp morning, with a frost on the ground when we left. The sun was shining all the way down and three smiling faces arrived at an event that any of us had been to (Lizzie events her horse too so she enjoyed seeing a new course).

Askham Bryan is a really beautiful set up, and although really busy was very well run and still quite low key. It was running BE90 and 100's only.

I got off and paid my starting fee, where we found out they are trying to open the event up to two days next year and maybe run higher classes - so that's good news.

I walked the course, and it was a really nice course, although lots in there that I hadn't really experienced before. The first was a ditch, two strides to a pheasant feeder/house, but nice and wide to aim at. I haven't done many ditches and would have preferred a fence in front, with a stride to the ditch rather than just cantering up to it. But Thomas didn't even look at it and gave it a nice big jump and straight over the second element. The next was a hay cart which was quite imposing, and was flat to the back and square in front. A bit naughty for 90's but I was excited to jump a cart!! Round at 15 was a big bank to jump up and a stride to a skinny with brush in like a U shape on the top. I was worried about this, losing impulsion, going to fast and getting a run out at the top, and just generally as I haven't done many banks.

We headed back, had a look at where the DR was & warm up. SJ arena looked nice and big, and plenty of room to get going forwards.

We got ready for DR as both sets of family friends turned up, which was great to see, but I felt a little rude while trying to get Thomas ready and myself, and make everyone feel welcome! I'm a worrier about these things!!

Anyway, Thomas was very chilled out, but went well in the warm up, although I wished I had brought my square spurs rather than my rounded ball ones - he was a little lazy!! We were called in, and Thomas went even lazier! I really had to use all my leg, it was really tough to keep him going. A shame otherwise I think we could have squeezed a few more marks. We got a score of 37 and overall I was pleased as he was relaxed and obedient...

Here's the dressage:

We had over 2 hours to wait until SJ as all the events I've been to have run to time not declaration. My instructor turned up just after dressage, so I walked the course with her, and asked advice on the parts I wasn't sure on. It was good to hear how to do things, and what to watch out for (I hadn't thought about the 'cow' behind the hedge after the ditch!). I missed the SJ walk as I was out on the XC, but as it was a big arena, I watched plenty, learnt the course, and saw big horses coming through to think about striding. My instructor gave me some tips like in between 3 and 4 it was downhill and 8 strides, so keep my shoulders back and keep going forwards. A lot had 4 down as they ended up chipping in a 9th stride...

The break gave me time for my legs to 'recover' haha from Thomas' lazy dressage, and a good time to catch up with everyone that was there to support.

Eventually it was time to get on Thomas for SJ - I hate getting on and finding out I have ages to wait in the warm up. As it happened this was declarations, so I had to walk around a bit, before being able to jump and then a walk around again. I had a great jump over the oxer before I went in, and all I had to remember was to keep going forward. A few had the first down, as it was right by where all the people were watching, and there was a lot to look at on the side. Katherine had advised to go in as soon as I could, and as you had to keep right, trot him past the first and make him look at it all so his eye would be on the first fence!

Here's the SJ round - I had the 3rd and 6th down, so 8 pens:

I was thrilled to bit as I have a real bee in my bonnet about SJ and always worry that we will get compulsory retirement for knocking too many, which actually makes me worse!

Anyway, I rode really forward and hit most of the fence on the right stride. The two I knocked were with his front and were simply because I was too on his forehand - not sitting up enough!

A few photos from SJ:
    Over number 3

Over fence 4

Over 7

I decided just to get changed and go straight XC even though I had about a half an hour wait really. I was lucky, there were just 6 to go in front of me, but the warm up was a bit sticky so I decided not to do much, and had a canter around with about 3 to go, but then pretty much just walked about.

Once again Thomas gave me an excellent round. I went steadily into the fence as it was sticky, but galloped where I could, and loved flying at the steeplechase - it was in the middle of a field and the only fence in sight!

Hubby managed to get a video of us after the water and coming in home:

I also got this photo from the video - I'm so pleased he came in home still keen and ear pricked, really looking after me!

And here is Thomas doing his best impression of a race horse as I was kicking for the finish!

I am so pleased that I've had the chance to finally go out and do what I have wanted for so long - I made a joke yesterday saying I've done one event this year for every year I've wait to go BE! I am so pleased with Thomas, I really couldn't ask for a better horse, and he is such a sweet natured chap, really looks after him Mum

He is now going to have a week off, and just hacking and a bit of schooling in the week (can't hack at night anymore!) to keep him fit enough to go to some local SJ. He'll have his shoes off in December, and have most of Dec and Jan off... A well deserved rest for him!

I hope you all enjoyed the updates this season as much as I have experiencing them!

Well done - great end to the season!

well done fab end to season

Fabulous He is such a lovely honest chap

Very Well done

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Default Askham Bryan Report **Pics & Vids**

Well done to you both
    no-one died of a fast trot
    A member of the Secret Sausage Society

Thanks everyone! I'm thrilled to bit with him, and shoniedaspony, you're right, he's such a sweetheart - I'm sure he rolls his eyes every time I get it wrong, and says 'No! You do it like this!' Haha!!

My pro photos are ready, but not sure which ones to get - I like some over the cart (got caught looking down, which I NEVER do!) and LOVE LOVE LOVE the galloping ones after the double.
    http://www.chameleonphotography.co.u...51&FitWindow=0
    There's about 20 of them...