Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Plus size riders?

^ knew I'd forgotten something Yes, probs the heaviest thing of all, the saddle!!! ^

I think for a young horse, a 'plus sized' rider isn't really going to do any good IMO - better to have a gentle start so it can build up muscles etc. properly before having to do a lot of heavy work.

Depends what you mean by plus sized rider though! I'm 11 stone, so would be classed as too big by a lot of riding schools today, and especially with a saddle I must be a good 12 stone! But I'm actually quite slim, just tall!

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

Quote Originally Posted by patchypony View Post
    I've lost weight for my boy.... just because he was happy to carry me when I was heavier, doesn't mean he should. Also, my way of thinking is the heavier you are, the harder you fall!!!
    nah, more padding when you hit the deck

I think you need to consider what you are doing and how much to do of it. I'm a big rider, can't hide from that fact. I am probably too heavy for my boy but we are on a journey together to loose weight and he has done so a lot faster than me because i wouldn't ride him when he was too heavy to carry himself let alone me. Then when i did start it was only walking, despite his wanting to trot. As he got fitter and i got thinner we did a little more and a little more. Now i have jumped a very small jump and i only did it three times (one being a huge cat leap) and i canter once on each rein around the arena, in a field i would let him go a bit but still not very fast/far as i am not totally confidence yet. We mostly do walking and trot now, and that is keeping me fit and him too, in fact he never sweats up anymore. I only keep my riding to about 30mins and if he is starting to seem tired or fed up i stop immediately. I do feel guilty being so heavy and it makes me further my weightloss and not because i want to look thin on him, but because i want to be proud to be seen on him, not worried about what others are saying.

As for riding schools, yeah i am glad they have a limit. My local one has a limit of 15 stone for jumping lessons but for flat work they let it go up a little, but put you on a 16hh heavy cobxshire horse who is as strong as an elephant. Never felt power like that in my life!

Plus sized riders can be fine as long as they are on something built to carry weight with a lot of bone. As far as youngsters go l wouldn't put a plus sized rider on any youngster as they don't have the musculature to carry weight and as they will be very unbalanced {the young horse not the rider} it can cause serious back problems. l'd say wait till the growth plates have fused before carrying any serious weight - usually between 6 and 8 years. lt's not something l would risk with a youngster when there are so many fully developed horses out there.

l have a 14h2 that has plenty of bone and wouldn't put a rider on her of more than 1Ostone and that is the absolute max - She'd be more comfortable with 8-9 and l actually keep my weight seriously in check to keep things comfortable for her. Me cutting my portion sizes to help my girl is easier than doing it just for myself