Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plus size riders?

I've lost weight for my boy.... just because he was happy to carry me when I was heavier, doesn't mean he should. Also, my way of thinking is the heavier you are, the harder you fall!!!

Default Plus size riders?

I have to constantly diet to ride mine as he's only 14'1 and quite long in the back! He takes a 17 inch saddle. I make sure I keep my weight under 9 ( normally 8.11/12) but I know tack knocks me up another stone. I can't afford a bigger version 😃!

I am a plus size rider technically - but having seen pictures on another forum, I am svelte in comparison RM hit the nail on the head with perception. There are times in pictures that I see me on the poneh and I cringe, but other times while I am a larger rider, I don't think I am overweight for him. If I get to a certain weight I will lunge until my weight gets down then I ride. I understand that riding schools should have a weight limit, but having been in front of a client that was adamant she was 11 stone and me about 90% sure she should add another 5 stone + added issue of debatable riding ability (who genuinely turns up at a RS for the first time with brand new EVERYTHING including hairnet?) it can be difficult to work out what to do.

Maybe RM should post the pics she mentioned, and I will post pics of me and see if people think I am too heavy, or what weight I am (might help kick start me back into the running again )
    Visit Mico

Dylan is a great incentive. I hate looking chubby on him (which is really easy since I'm tall on him).

Only because people asked, this is exactly 12 stone including tack

my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

RM there is no way you look too heavy for the horse. I'm 5'8" and about 11 1/2 stone now, got down to 11 from 16 1/2 but put a bit back on :-( and I happily used to get on my 14.1 Hafflinger mare and not worry about the weight. When I was at my biggest I rode a MW cob gelding that was perfectly capable of carrying me, so much so he would randomly decided to canter of with me when he felt like it. But I wasn't that happy riding at that weight and I still sometimes have days where I worry about being too heavy for some horses and then I just have to remind myself that I'm not actually that heavy anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by lala1984 View Post
    RM there is no way you look too heavy for the horse. I'm 5'8" and about 11 1/2 stone now, got down to 11 from 16 1/2 but put a bit back on :-( and I happily used to get on my 14.1 Hafflinger mare and not worry about the weight. When I was at my biggest I rode a MW cob gelding that was perfectly capable of carrying me, so much so he would randomly decided to canter of with me when he felt like it. But I wasn't that happy riding at that weight and I still sometimes have days where I worry about being too heavy for some horses and then I just have to remind myself that I'm not actually that heavy anymore!
    Sorry, I wasn't posting it because I think I am too heavy for her ( although as a youngster, she would probably prefer to carry say 11 stone , which means the rider weighing about 10 and a half stone. Hence my personal goal), I was posting the picture because so often ( and not necessarily on this forum) on rider weight threads, You see the comment " I wouldn't have more than 12 stone on my horse" and I suspected that many people had no idea what that weight looked like and someone on this thread asked me to post pic,
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

I would of put you at about 9 stone rm! You look perfect together !

Rider weight is always a hot-potato subject on H&H forum and someone recently said that they weighed 9 stone 10 but by the time they have their tack, riding clothes, boots, BP and jacket on their horse, their weight goes up to 12 stone five!!! I was quite astounded by that....

Quote Originally Posted by patchypony View Post
    Rider weight is always a hot-potato subject on H&H forum and someone recently said that they weighed 9 stone 10 but by the time they have their tack, riding clothes, boots, BP and jacket on their horse, their weight goes up to 12 stone five!!! I was quite astounded by that....
    Did that include leather saddle as well? if so I'm not surprised.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]