Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Bays and browns

Quote Originally Posted by Chiilaa View Post
    I fixed that for you. Because, as you know, there is more than one agouti gene. There is one that has been isolated (Brown, At) and two more that are theorised ("Classic" bay A, and "Wild" bay A+).

A black horse (Ee or EE) carrying one or two brown agouti genes (AtAt or Ata) will have its black pigment restricted to the points, and further restricted off the "soft" points, resulting in a brown horse.

So in layman terms "the paler bits" occur at some point in browns
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Chiilaa View Post
    I fixed that for you. Because, as you know, there is more than one agouti gene. There is one that has been isolated (Brown, At) and two more that are theorised ("Classic" bay A, and "Wild" bay A+).

A black horse (Ee or EE) carrying one or two brown agouti genes (AtAt or Ata) will have its black pigment restricted to the points, and further restricted off the "soft" points, resulting in a brown horse.
    I was talking about actual bay horses so didn't need to add in 'Bay' ??

Put as you have above.. there is no brown. It's just an extremely expressed black restriction on a BAY horse.

And also, those 'paler bits' ... unless they are there through all coats (winter/summer/change) then I don't believe they signify a 'brown' horse. Lots of bay horses get paler ends to their coats in winter. Not a speck visible in summer - as per Rosie's HRH.

Rips' Mocha is properly 'Brown'. She always has her paler bits. No matter what her coat.

TT even has 2 tone long hair shading in winter and his colour does not carry this type of patterning - ever -it's just winter fluff
    Last edited by BIrish; 29-11-2012 at 09:01.