Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Area 2 BRC Winter League SJ + *PICS*

Default Area 2 BRC Winter League SJ + *PICS*

For about a month now, we were entered into the Winter League SJ for area 2 to represent our RC - BBDRC. Another member of the team is on the same yard as me, and we were very excited, and really looking forward to it.

I woke up yesterday to hear the rain pounding against the skylite... All my excitement vanished in a nano second! Although the round itself was inside, I knew the warm up was outside...

We found out that things were still on, so off I trundled to the yard. I tried calling again to find out if it was on, but no answer, so best get on with it. As you can tell, I wasn't in the best of moods by now... I plaited Thomas (I don't like taking him away without looking his best!) and gave him a good brush. Loaded up the wagon, and off we went.

As we got nearer the venue, the rain eased, although still dull and FREEZING!

I started to warm Thomas up (I was first on in seniors), and I had checked that the course wasn't changing from Juniors, but then there was a change to fence 7 & 9, so off I got and walked the course. Looked OK - I was worried that 75cm wouldn't be enough for Thomas, but most looked to be up to height, but still not really enough to keep his attention, but all part of being a team!

Thomas warmed up well, but not off the leg enough at first. He was a bit spooky when he went in, but nothing bad, just looky - there is a cafe along the long side with everyone stood at the side watching. As well as having mushroom, pig, sheep and waterbaby fillers!

You jump two rounds, and in the first, Thomas knocked three down - the first (4) was my fault, as I was on the forehand as I came round the corner to it across the diagonal after he came to trot being on the wrong lead and disunited. The second (7) was a skinny against the cafe and he wasn't concentrating, got a bit deep and knocked it, which meant I didn't hit the stride to 8...

I watched what the hubby had filmed back in between rounds (I had 1.5hrs to wait), and I really just needed to be more forward.

Thomas gave me a great ride in the second, he landed disunited after the first, but corrected himself in the corner, but it just spoils rhythm a little, so clipped 2, but after that, he flew. Hubby managed to NOT video this, taking a photo at the start and end, thinking he was starting and stopping the video....

Our two team mates that were jumping later stayed for the results...
    WE CAME 2ND OF 23 TEAMS!!!

Anyway, here are the photos, and the video of the first round, although, it's not great, it's not a disaster...

My pro photos, from 1st round (none of second ) - shame one is as he is knocking the fence...

Think I'll buy this one:

Hope you all enjoyed reading!

tell Mr H to not be so expressive with his words when you get one down

you seem to do what i am bad at doing - riding with the handbreak on - sounds like you got the 2nd round right though first round you def didnt have an active/energetic enough canter - he needed to be sharper and bouncier - i'm not talking bouncing on spot silliness but contained energy like bouncing a basket ball if that makes sense (sure it does as sounds like you totally knew what had gone wrong LOL)

how do you warm up?

i do a total different warm up for SJ than DR - do a couple of circuits walk on a loose rein to take in the surroundings then a few loose trots with some bending - then a couple of "off the back" open canters - then work on sharpening her - so lots of transitions - including lots of walk to canter - then canter to walk one stride to canter (v useful if they go disunited to use this - so worth practicing - saves lots of time ) and flying changes - i dont ask for them as such - i just get off her back and change the bend - useful again to practice as helps for when you land wrong leg then you are proactive to correct rather than they try to and go disunited (yes HRH and i have the disunited problem too so i've worked with an RI to help the issue and what to do when it happens - so i work on these at home too )
    but one last thing to remember about disunited is that they can still jump out of it - if its too late and you are set up to jump then just jump out of disunited - it doesnt feel great but far better than fiddling that close to the fence (another thing RI told me to do)

i hardly ever trot in a SJ warm up - just a few first trots then its all walk and canter work as that is what i will be needing in arena

you know whats really helping me at the mo - jump offs - i know it sounds daft but going out in a jump off and just having to GO FOR IT
    its teaching me to ride far more forward and with a far more active but reactive horse (so to make tight turns etc) i am also sticking at lower heights at the mo and just having fun getting it correct before we move up. i was all a bit too serious and worried by SJ whereas now i'm having great fun doing local 70/80/90 comps and just having a blast around - as you prob saw on my FB on sunday i had a pole down in the 70/80 becuase we went too fast and flattened but it still felt fab we were enjoying it and having FUN rather than over analysing etc - slowed it down a bit for the 80/90 and got double clear so i'm beginning to learn how to adjust more etc. i actually find that going to that kind of fun local comp far more effective at teaching me to ride an actual course than any at home schooling is

do you have anywhere that you can go into jump off HC just for fun if you dont go clear> and just go for time - it will encourage you to ride more forward and ask more of him in terms of listening and reacting

hope some of that made sense

ps - when did you become a mod??

Nothing to add Rosie has covered any comments I would have made Thomas is looking well!

Man your qualifier was early! Ours normally isn't till jan/feb (yeah was problematic last year with snow!). Got the dressage qualifier this weekend are you doing stressage too?

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    Nothing to add Rosie has covered any comments I would have made
    why does that ^^^ make me want to go.......

ETA - Char take that as a compliment

ok I'll do some Of my own!

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    ps - when did you become a mod??
    When I asked to set up Competitions board I look after that area, not a full mod all over!

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    Nothing to add Rosie has covered any comments I would have made Thomas is looking well!

Man your qualifier was early! Ours normally isn't till jan/feb (yeah was problematic last year with snow!). Got the dressage qualifier this weekend are you doing stressage too?
    It was the winter league, not qualifier. The qualifiers are in Feb; Top Score and Novice SJ. Hoping to do the dressage too, though disappointing that only the top team member qualifies for Windsor - not the team as a whole.

Rosie - thanks for all the tips. Sounds like what I do in warm up, aside from flying changes. I found it really difficult to get a rhythm at the start, as to get to number one, you had to shallow loop around number 7 - AWKWARD!!! I always find problem in warm ups in fences plonked in middle, jumping off one rein, and with everyone also whizzing around carefree, it's difficult for them to grasp you may jump off the left rein but turn right after the fence!! I get very irritated in SJ warm ups - especially those who haven't heard of left-left....

the laugh was to Char

i just shout at peeps in the warm up i got fed up last year of being intimidated at BE events by folk whacking the fences up well over height and bullying me out of the way - so grew some balls - now i am quite happy in warm ups and just treat them as the deserve to be also helps that HRH turns herself inside out when i warm up innitially - so everyone avoids us as back paws are flying in all directions

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    tell Mr H to not be so expressive with his words when you get one down
    Believe me, it was nothing to his telling off when I saw two photos (start & finish) of second round. It was my best ever SJ riding, and Thomas gave me a fab ride.... he got told off, plus when I heard the vocals in the first, even more!

I am quite sad that I don't have the second on video - but hopefully many more!

ps re the start - i'd have been cantering way before that - setting the canter up then used the far end of the arena more to come round to the first - but yes its not the kindest line!