Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jogging -what do you do about it?

Default Jogging -what do you do about it?

As in title - if a horse you are riding jogs, how do you respond? What are you hoping to achieve (short term and long term) with that response?

Is there anything you have tried which has been really unhelpful, or more helpful in some settings than others.

I know there can be lots of causes of jogging - so if you feel your response only works with X cause, please say.

Ta

Default Jogging -what do you do about it?

Matrix used to jog if he was out with more than one other horse and tbh it was a pain and as I was only 10 I just put up with it! His was purely excitement, he didn't like being behind other horses. If I sat deep and asked him to walk he would, but only briefly. Sitting for 30 minutes of welsh section a jog wasn't fun so I used to just stand up in my stirrups
    He still jogs sometimes inhand, at Windsor he jogged the entire way up to the ring, but I just let him go beside me, not grab hold but not let him get ahead and keep asking him calmly to walk and eventually he will. Feel your pain though, it's very annoying!
    http://i55.tinypic.com/10dsdhd.jpg
    2001-2011
    Sleep tight Cloud, I miss you more than words can say

I hate hate hate jogging! I will ask Phil to stand every time he jogs. He soon gets bored. I also find (only because I know him, wouldn't do it if I wasn't sure how he'd respond) dropping my entire contact to the buckle can help too.

I circle. If Salsa jogs, it's usually pure excitement and asking him to stand just gets him more frustrated, leading to dancing around and backing up at a jog. So we circle until he gets sick of it and walks nicely. It works for us as he realises he's getting nowhere fast by pratting around and asking him to circle means he's got something to concentrate on rather than standing still and getting wound up.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

I make them walk in a very tight zig zag or circle. I hate jogging, it is so uncomfortable!

With Pea his was adrenaline, as he'd get stressed/excited. I used to sit deep and just try and breathe normally. He didn't respond to circling/standing etc, but now doesn't jog anymore so staying calm seemed to work (although it was slow progress). Toby just gets a check with the reins and then he remembers himself.

I have a little jogging problem with B. If you ask her to walk/stand she leaps/bunny hops and canters off, I now find this absolutely hilarious, but it used to petrify me! Our only issue is that B likes to walk down the middle of the road, if she's in a mood, you can't pull over to let cars pass (on a narrow country lane), so I feel extremely sorry for the poor drivers who end up stuck behind us!

Disclaimer ... yes she's nuts but she's not too bad generally and if you trot her on she's pretty safe.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

Lou jogs, she gets very over-excited and just bounces about as though she is on springs . I love it, I just ignore her, I stay as relaxed as possible and keep half-halting, but that's about it. It doesn't stop the jogging, but means I stay in control!

it depends tbh, you have to suss out why they are jogging and act accordingly. My old horse used to jog continually and it drove me nuts, he did it as he was stressing out and wanting to run home. I used to actually get off out on hacks and have a sit down for a few minutes, let him pull at some grass then start off again and usually he’d forgotten he was jogging and walked nicely. My Sec D jogs in company sometimes, its pure excitement and she can get very ’busy’ in her head so in her case I sit deep, long rein and ignore her.

I either make them stand or push them on depending on how 'safe' it is. If they want to jog then they can ****** well trot properly, at a decent speed, under my asking. And not stop till I say either. They soon learn that jogging isn't easy

I have noticed that a lot of people with jogging horses hold onto them which IME makes them worse. As hard as it is its better to give with the rein and push them on through it as then you aren't transmitting tension down the reins and winding them up more... Plenty of half halts, then release

Edit - I make nappers stand too. Music on and just sit it out they get bored before I do