Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jogging -what do you do about it?

I think I tried everything with Doey and not much worked, I concluded at her age I was fighting a losing battle and in the end I couldn't be bothered to argue with her as she enjoyed it too much!! On her own she was fab 99% of the time, it was only with another horse when she was behind that she was really bad. The worst was with L's horse Cassie, shame as we loved hacking together, but Doey would get herself in a tizz behind, and in front slow down so much Cassie kept hitting her backside!

Sitting deep and relaxing the contact as much as I could did help, but if I did this on the heath/golf course she would pee off, so not always sensible! Asking her to stand was totally pointless as if not allowed to go forward she would go sideways/in a circle/backwards etc etc. Asking her to trot on resulted in a few strides before she lost her balance, walked briefly, then jogged again!!

I think in the end I just learnt yes she would jog, but she wasn't actually going anywhere, so if I just sat down a bit, loosened the reins, and sang a bit of Rod the God, she gave up in the end. if you gave her a fight she would revel in it and fight back, if you said meh, exhaust yourself then you div, she would go hmm actually this is a bit tiring...it's getting to the point where you feel you can let them go a bit though which took me a fair time to trust she wouldn't just leg it.

It is SO annoying and used to give me a stitch but not as bad as a lot of other riding vices in the grand scheme of things, just try and nip it in the bud, as by the time they are mid twenties and have been doing it for xxx years, you are kinda stuck with it

HRH jogs when she's excited - generally in DR training (yes i know excitement and DR training should not really go in the same sentance )
    but its when we work a lot on transitions and shifting weight to hocks and she starts to anticipate walk to canter transitions - then - as DR trainer quite righty says - shes not wokring correctly so we have to get a proper active good walk again - her advice - think nothing - look up - breath out - relax reins a bit and dont think about trying to stop them doing it - just let it happen - certianly works quicker for us that trying to ask for walk again

other than that she hardly ever jogs as she like me - doesnt use up excess energy if not needed

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    HRH jogs when she's excited - generally in DR training (yes i know excitement and DR training should not really go in the same sentance )
    but its when we work a lot on transitions and shifting weight to hocks
    Phil is like this too. Transitions are great for getting them active but sometimes a little too active

It depends what mood Kally is in. If she wants to run off, relaxing or dropping the reins would have you in the next county, so then its half halts, upper leg and relaxing when she does - not enough to let her run off though! Other times she's just antsy so we have an agreement that if she jogs = short reins and I ask her to work. If she walks, I let the reins out to the buckle. If she breaks again, the reins shorten very quickly and she usually remembers and comes back to walk pretty quickly.

Give them their head and completely ignore it unless they try and break into a faster pace and then its one harsh correction and completely loose reins again.

Mocha was the worst jogger you ever saw when I got her, and she'd pull you clean out of the saddle aswell. Ignoring it for some time, solved both issues, she hasn't chucked her reins in years, and only really exciting adrenaline filled things bring out 'the jog of death' (hunting)

I don't mind a jogger though is it just me?? I've ridden a few horses now that had incurable jogging, Holly and Master spring to mind, Holly jogged every single step of a 25km charity road ride once, and when asked she stand she jogged backwards.
    I can't stand rein-chuckers though.

I've never really come across jogging in a schooling situation.

I used to ride a serial jogger.
    I did the stand when you jog, She got herself in such a tizz i felt like i was sitting on nothing! (big 16.2 mare!!!) so I quickly jumped off before she chucked me!

Never ridden her since.

Grey job jogs but his pace is so big its quite smooth!
    Mr M however gets told to walk as he REALLY jars my back
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Wibs tried to jog once out hacking - he got made to do some baby-piaffe Never done it since - far too much like hard work!

Default Re: Jogging -what do you do about it?

Jasper jogged when he first came home and does so every so often, I used to half halt and then push him into a decent walk, if he jogged he was half halted again.

Tried the standing, did no good.

If he was really on one though I would make him trot, and trot until he wanted to slow, then he would trot a bit more, then funnily enough he would walk lol.

Can't stand jogging does my head in.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Think I jinxed my poor Mum replying to this post, Pea jogged the whole way back from a hack yesterday oops! You can't let the reins go with him, he either a) panics and runs away or b) gets excited... and runs away. He pins his head to his chest and bounces, so really just have to sit it out, he tends to get ignored with the odd half halt. Silly boy!

I used to ride a confirmed jogger - he only did it in winter though His was just high spirits pure and simple, long reins meant he took off and holding too tight resulted in fly bucks - always accompanied by a squeal! The only thing that really made a difference was to push him up into a really forward trot and keep him going until he ran out of steam.