Thread: eruption of adult incisors

Default eruption of adult incisors

Mouse's first adult teeth are making an appearance, the two central incisors on his top jaw have started to grow down. Out of interest does anyone know how long it takes for them to actually come into use?

I would guess it varies massively with the horse, but Vega, 3 months for her corner incisors. Before she went for breaking she still had deciduous corner incisors, and when she came home she had new permanent ones that were almost in use (last time I checked and I suspect they are at this stage)
    Meant to take photos as her mouth has totally changed since the last photos I posted.

I have discovered possibly the coolest thing about having a babypony is watching them grow and change. Mouse hasn't grown much height-wise since I got him, but although he is still bum-high the shape of his back has changed a fair bit, and his head/face has grown and matured. But shamefully I hadn't been paying much attention to his teeth and it wasn't until I took a pic of him munching blackberries that I realised the incisors are coming down. Another ignorant question, when should you start doing dental checks with a youngster? - am guessing it should start now that his teeth are starting to change?

Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    I have discovered possibly the coolest thing about having a babypony is watching them grow and change. Mouse hasn't grown much height-wise since I got him, but although he is still bum-high the shape of his back has changed a fair bit, and his head/face has grown and matured. But shamefully I hadn't been paying much attention to his teeth and it wasn't until I took a pic of him munching blackberries that I realised the incisors are coming down. Another ignorant question, when should you start doing dental checks with a youngster? - am guessing it should start now that his teeth are starting to change?
    I don't bother til after the horse is riding bitted (well depandant on age) Vega still has a very young mouth with her permanent teeth only settling now, suspect I won't have her looked at til spring. Get your vet to have a check for anything odd during routine yearly visi for vacs or whatever or random visit. If nothing wrong, leave well alone.

Odie has his teeth done when he was 4.5, after he'd been riding for 3/4 months, dentist still had sod all to do with them, mainly checking for wolf teeth, sharp edges, of which he had neither, he had a bit of a rasp at the back.

Some horses don't have good mouth conformation though and would benefit from early intervention, which is why you should get vet to have a quick look for any potential problems that need keeping an eye on.