Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your youngsters doing this winter?

Default What are your youngsters doing this winter?

Scout is 19 months old now and is really starting to grow up (in maturity and size! ) at the moment we're not really doing much however I'd like to start doing more with him before he gets too big if you know what I mean?

He walks out on the roads on a regular basis and is ace, not fussed by traffic, other horses, bikes, people, even going through the scary farmyard full of chickens and dogs and machinery, however he was rather scared of the sheep that followed him through the field so I need to get him used to them before he grows much more as I almost lost him when he tried to take off

He has been bitted and I know some would say it's too early but he only wears it on rare occasions, if we go out for a walk he wears it for the first few minutes to see if he's calm enough to walk off his head collar, I've found a bit he seems comfortable with ( a sweet iron french link with copper lozenge), I've done de-spooking in the arena with flags, cones, road signs, tarps, jump poles only too about 5 minutes I've stood on a mounting block next to him and pretended! to get on, jumping up and down and stuff (didn't touch him or put any weight on him) he's worn saddle pads, rollers, bandages, boots, exercise sheets, ear veils....

He leads ok in walk and trot, but doesn't like being alone so we are working on that

not sure what else to do with him atm

nothing!!

she has been bited/girthed for bombproofing reasons (2 months ago) now she lives out as babies should, in a field with 5 other mares until shes 3.5-4 and i will back her (well get a professional to do it)!

I may get her out to an in-hand show next year - mabey not! not bothered either way i have lots of time to do things with her....she has seen tractors and lives next to a motorway and shes the type thats unphased by anything

I agree..... turn away over winter let be a horse and chill and think about life

Next spring do more of the same work and poss take in hand to local show.

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Running through electric fences mostly!
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Nothing.. Jack is 2.5 now (how did that happen) and Iggy is an immature 3.5.. As long as their manners are good and they stand, tie up, pick feet up etc (which they do), I'm not bothered for another year or so..

I don't want to turn him away, he gets bored really easily

Gilda isn't turned away, but she's only 2.5 so still a baby and can stay that way until next year She gets led about (field to field when she escapes) and has the farrier and that's it.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

If he gets left like that he gets all miserable, for the past few weeks he's only gone out every two weeks so will probably keep it this way until bad weather hits then just do a bit of leading practice in the school every now and then, he wont wear his bit again until we go showing next summer

He comes in every day with the others and gets a brush off and feet picked out

Default What are your youngsters doing this winter?

Nothing?! Just general routine stuff & playing in the field.

My many many youngsters over the years don't have a great deal done, they are treated like the adult ponies and learn alot simply going out inhand showing and the day to day stuff. They all turn out sensible & level headed
    Native pony addict!

Well Scout seems to be doing ok, he doesn't play in the field and seems to enjoy his walks out.

I'm doing the same my friend has done with her youngster and she's turned out brilliant so far