Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your youngsters doing this winter?

The do more beth if you want? you almost sound like your justifying it?

if you want to do more with him then he's your pony....

mine is chucked out through convenience which is working well for her!....admitidly shes trashing fences on her way but she lives out with a herd which imo is teaching her valuable lessons - i have noticed a massive difference in her attitude and handling when i saw her on monday!...shes calm anyhow and in the short time i had her i feel ive done enough so i can safely back her in 15 monthsish.....

each to their own

Default What are your youngsters doing this winter?

Ours are grown up now but we treated him like our others. He lived in through winter, rug change, pick feet. He went for the odd walk- not so much in winter. We didn't even turn him away as such. He was backed at four and didn't do much in terms of saddling up etc before then but lots of showing and walking out. The walking out payed dividends when we starting backing and he was hacking on his own after a couple of days being sat on

Quote Originally Posted by b_22 View Post
    The do more beth if you want? you almost sound like your justifying it?

if you want to do more with him then he's your pony....

mine is chucked out through convenience which is working well for her!....admitidly shes trashing fences on her way but she lives out with a herd which imo is teaching her valuable lessons - i have noticed a massive difference in her attitude and handling when i saw her on monday!...shes calm anyhow and in the short time i had her i feel ive done enough so i can safely back her in 15 monthsish.....

each to their own
    I will do and I am.
    I don't want to feel like I'm being 'judged' on whether I'm doing too much with him, I know he isn't but everyone on here doesn't know him so I can see why it seems like I'm doing too much, and I also suppose as he is my first youngster I want to try and do as much with him so he's been there and done it all for when he starts breaking in 2-3 years time.

He's left to be a horse 99% of the time, however I also like him to realise that he is going to be spending time with me. When I first got him he was a bit of a nutter, he used to mount me and chase me round the field since having a routine and spending time doing stuff he has calmed down immensley. I am thinking of giving him a little break over winter because thinking about it last night, he's done loads in a short period of time, IF he starts to go to his miserable bored looking self I might do a bit of something with him, bur rather than trying new things with him I'll go over what we do already.

Default What are your youngsters doing this winter?

I think every youngster is different. I know one of mine was more than happy being turned away but our latest hated being out of the loop and loved coming for walks and doing bits and bobs. He is one of those that likes being worked regularly now as a riding horse as well

Belfa is in a field with her pal eating grass, rugless, coming in for the odd farrier visit and groom. She's led out on the roads for a short walk every 8 weeks or so for the farrier and is still bombproof in traffic despite it's irregularity. She's been to inhand shows so learnt a bit about the world. I'm not bitting her etc until the Spring when she'll be rising 3.

Learning to clicker train and maybe some in hand walks. But the clicker stuff is 3 times a week max, and for 10 mins a go. And Im quite happy not to do it if it is peeing down with rain

I don't understand why you asked and then turned so defensive? If it was mine it would be turned away in a very big field in a herd to learn to be a horse. This is because I own a horse that didn't do so and he has no concept of how to behave in company and is a bit of a thug.

I would then start 'playing' over the summer and go from there, but each to their own and so long as the horse doesn't come to harm and is happy it's irrelevant IMO

Well, Mouse is 3 next year so twice as old as Scout, but when he was Scout's age I was doing more or less the same with him that you are, minus the bitting. I actually did more with him at 18 months old than I do with him now. Over the winter he will be doing something one day a week (my day off), this will be either long-reining or a ride-and-lead hack with one of the New Forests, I only have time for one session a week and don't think there's any point in doing much more than that anyway. I feel that having established basic manners on the ground, and got him walking out quietly on the roads, and doing obstacle courses and despooking in the school - and having discovered he has such an easygoing nature and adapts so quickly to new things - there is no need to "do" too much with him until I'm ready to back him in the spring.

Does he have ponies/horses/other youngsters out with him that instigate play? If not, any chance of moving him to an environment where he can play and learn boundaries in the field? They learn an incredible amount through play with other horses! I know this isn't ideal, but I've had some extremely clever horses and ponies who never got bored doing nothing as babies because they played with others more than they slept!
    Native pony addict!

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    Running through electric fences mostly!
    not just youngsters ......................i feel your pain
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/