Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought a trailer!!! Quick towing question.

Default I bought a trailer!!! Quick towing question.

Here's my new pony mobile

I am doing my trailer test in Jan, but my question is..

Can I tow it empty if car + trailer is less than 3500kg?? Just to practice!

Google gives me very conflicting information and I am confused!!

'Like' my Facebook page for offers and more information! http://www.facebook.com/PollyGodsafeMcTimoneyEssex

Yay, congrats on your trailer!! I'm not entirely sure, I have had two stories, but I am fairly sure that you cannot because of the plated weight of the trailer being more than 750kg. I.e. the trailer will carry over that so you cannot tow without having L plates and a qualified driver with you. Have you checked on the VOSA website? There is also a thread on HHO forum that is pinned, about transport etc.

Sorry I'm not much help, I am old enough to not need to do an extra test
    Fjords - the best pony in the world!

no you cant im afraid , its highly unlikely it would be a combo light enough. To find out for sure tho post here

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...ghlight=towing

You could with L plates and a qualified person in the car with you xx

Just to add to that, 'grandfather rights' have changed so if you have a regular C1 licence you can only be supervised by someone who has passed their B+E test, NOT just by someone who passed their test pre 1997. For example, my dad can legally tow a trailer but he couldn't supervise me to do so because he hasn't taken the B+E test (and doesn't need to).

I spoke to my driving instructor, I can't. I can practice reversing etc in the car park at the yard though!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura+Phantom View Post
    Just to add to that, 'grandfather rights' have changed so if you have a regular C1 licence you can only be supervised by someone who has passed their B+E test, NOT just by someone who passed their test pre 1997. For example, my dad can legally tow a trailer but he couldn't supervise me to do so because he hasn't taken the B+E test (and doesn't need to).
    Ok, so my dad who passed his test in about 1900 has his C1 but he can't sit with me? But Dani_gurl (just an example! lol) has her B+E so she could??

'Like' my Facebook page for offers and more information! http://www.facebook.com/PollyGodsafeMcTimoneyEssex

Wow very smart bet you can't wait to get out and about. We haven't had an update on your girls in a while

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdTimeLucky View Post
    Ok, so my dad who passed his test in about 1900 has his C1 but he can't sit with me? But Dani_gurl (just an example! lol) has her B+E so she could??
    Yep! Silly isn't it.

I think grandfather right still exist for a car/trailer combination. So a pre-1997 license holder can sit with an L plate learner, who is towing. I'm fairy sure the change to this in 2011 was for other vehicle types.

I think need to advise your car insurance company though.

Look at page 3 of the link provided above...post by ROG

Here's a link to a BHS page that also confirms the same http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/wo...-licensing-law
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 10-12-2012 at 06:46.