Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: youngsters, how old to start hoof trimming?

Default youngsters, how old to start hoof trimming?

Q in the title. When does a youngster need to start having their feet seen to by a farrier?

Default youngsters, how old to start hoof trimming?

Yearling for mine. Even if it's going through the motions. I always prefer them to understand the concept of a strange person picking their feet up and handling. Mine are very good with the farrier and I followed that approach with both.

Hmm. Mouse was 18 months when I got him and I don't think he'd ever had his feet picked up before, he didn't know what to do. I thought I'd have a lot of work to do before he had his first trim but turns out I only had to pick up his feet on a few different occasions, it was amazing how quickly he got the hang of it! He fought the farrier a bit the first time but on second visit he was good as gold - farrier now says he's one of the easiest youngsters he's done! So I guess it shows they can learn easily enough even if they don't start really young.

Neither our yearling colts have seen the farrier before but they both had feet handled as foals due to abcesses!

Vega probably only had 3/4 trims before she was trimmed and shod by farrier at 4yrs. She's been perfect.

I can't remember but she was probably near to 2yrs when she was first trimmed. She had 2/3 at regular intervals and then she didn't need any upkeep for about a year, where she had another and then it was off for breaking. Where she was trimmed and shod, and has been shod since she came home. She's had 3 different farriers also, didn't make a jot of difference.

Alfie got his first trim at 6 months and had another at 8 months, good as gold both times

Sunshine, can I ask why he needed his feet done so young? They hardly have any feet at 6 months!

I would personally start around weaning. River was nine months the first time she had her feet trimmed and they were an absolute mess and had impacted on the development of her cannon bones.
    If I have another youngster, I will be asking my farrier to at least pick up their feet once they're balanced and confident enough to lift and hold the foot up for picking out, and build up to trimming from there.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

My two were both 6mths ish. Conway had odd shaped fronts so the farrier started very minor remedial work on him, and Cheesecake was just going through the motions as much as anything.

I start balancing as soon as hard capsule @ 6 weeks for Ghost and every 8-10 weeks since. She has always grown a lot of foot and her feet were not in perfect natural balance and her conformation is not perfect. For what I expect her to do, it seemed important to give her the best possible start. No regrets

Interesting! I wasn't really aware foals that young could have "bad feet" - looking at all of ours at 6 months they just look, well, normal!

ETA - can anyone tell me then what you are looking for when you assess a foal's feet? What is good and what is bad?