Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: youngsters, how old to start hoof trimming?

My old farrier (now sadly moved away ) would have a look at the foals feet occasionally but they never really needed touching, but he was very big on remedial work (although he doesnt like it being called remedial work he says its just 'proper' farriery) and used to work with his boss and vets on trimming a lot of wonky legged foals and helping straighten them out.
    This years foal hasnt had a trim at all yet but the yearlings have had a couple of trims and the two year old will have had a good few by now. None are any bother, thats not allowed.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

we trim at about 4-5 months just to shape up then several times a year from then on.

I have only had foals from youngest 5 months, normally 6. Farrier is always one of the first jobs, even if its just to balance them up.

I had one rescue case foal called Tom who at 7 months had the most horrendous feet, my farrier worked wonders balancing them up which may have been an impossible case had he been left
    Native pony addict!

We pick up feet from day 1 just to get them used to it. OH can rasp and trim so we start doing that as soon as they need it.

Poor Kane had to have his toe trimmed back at 2 days old because he had ballerina syndrome but all of ours will stand and have their feet picked up by the time they are weaned.

I think a farrier should at least assess them every three months or so from as early as possible. My youngster had his first check at weaning when he came here and he's been at least assessed every 5-12 weeks since. Most times he has needed a balance, a few times he's been fine to be left, and occasionally there was a lot to come off.

Having balanced feet is crucial for the leg to develop properly into maturity. How often they need balancing is as much down to environment as genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    Sunshine, can I ask why he needed his feet done so young? They hardly have any feet at 6 months!
    Oh they can have! This little foalie was 3.5 months and had lived on grass, stoney ground and concrete (and was typically an active little soul!!)

Thankfully feet had been handled virtually from day one so first trim was a non-event.

Oakley had his done for the first time at 6 months. Nothing major just a quick rasp around. Mainly just so he got used to the farrier from a young age.
    My farrier always taps there feet lightly with the hammer aswell to get them used to the feel and sound of it incase they ever have shoes later on to get them used to it.

Humbug didn't have his feet done until he was 18 months old and his were a mess, it took about about 4 trims every 6 weeks to get his feet looking right. Now he has balanced rock crunching feet.

I don't think they're ever too young to start seeing the farrier, even if it is just so the farrier can pick up there feet and get them used to new people touching there feet etc.
    RIP Forest,always in my heart.I can never forget the times we had together. Run free.I'll see you again one day