Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toby just backed and beyond!

Default Toby just backed and beyond!

I thought I would start a diary on new pony Toby

The day he was backed

Ridden away

My first ride on him

He's now been turned away for winter, so shall be updated in spring

The love for a horse is just as complicated as the love for another human being...if you never love a horse, you will never understand

He's gorgeous, can't beat a highland

He is lush! What are your plans with him come spring time?

Hoping to just get to know him, do some hacking and hopefully take him to his first ridden show come August (hopefully manage some in-hands before that to rejig his memory about the whole show environment). He's an absolute sweetheart but has huge intelligence and power (been deemed the most powerful highland any of us have ever sat on!), so my main aim will be to keep his brain happy to avoid any unnecessary disagreements. He is so willing and forwards I have to try my very best to cherish that and not spoil it...he is my first proper baby pony (Although Callum was 8, he was 5 in his head) so I'm being very careful with him.

Here he is just before he was turned away

The love for a horse is just as complicated as the love for another human being...if you never love a horse, you will never understand

Wow, he is lovely and what a lovely picture too!

Well Tobias is officially back into work! Long reined yesterday, long reined and hopped on today! No hiccups at all, a few wobbles at various scary things out on our wee hack today but that's all!
    Photos to follow...

Looking forward to pics
    Native pony addict!

Firstly a bit of long reining in the school to allow any explosions to happen...

Then Gordon got on, Gordon is used to back the ponies...he's got very good stickability. So we long reined round the block with him on board.

And finally I hopped on, we went for a hack and had a few trots in the school.

My baby pony is a star

Default Toby just backed and beyond!

Lovely pics , looking forward to more updates xx

We went in the school with company for the first time (10mins) yesterday and also on our first hack in company which all went very well...but we did have our first major tantrum!

Nearing the end of our short hack round the land we were going to have a little trot up a hill, as we reached said hill pony felt like a coiled spring so I told other rider to stay in walk. Anyway explosions came in the form of broncs, I think his little brain was overloaded a bit (He is known for wee temper tantrums as a youngster). We eventually calmed down and did manage a little trot in front of other horse and we ended on a good note. Very proud of my wee pony!