Thread: First Competition of 2013!! **VIDEO**

Default First Competition of 2013!! **VIDEO**

Firstly, I hope everyone had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year - all the best for 2013!

So throughout December Thomas had an easy time, not really spending the cold, wet evenings in the arena, and just some hacking on a weekend - just to keep him going... That's really why I've been pretty quiet on here too

Anyway, I had the two days between Xmas and NY (27th & 28th) off, but knew the RC show had some jumping that I'd like to have done on 30th. I thought I'd try and start to increase doing a little bit more, and popped things in the diary for January competitions - to give me aims and reasons to keep him in fittening work.

The first date was yesterday, and just local restricted Dressage, so I thought I'd had a go. I hadn't schooled properly for a good few weeks, so on NYE I put a couple of rows of trot poles and a line of canter poles out to do something a bit more interesting on the flat (plus it was a privilege to ride in the light on a week day for a change!) He went well, and I'm hoping to do much more like this and hopefully it will help our SJ too.

I also popped on him for 20 minutes on Thursday evening in the school - I just wanted to look at certain test elements, mainly: E-B half 20m circle FWLR, med walk at B, before M trot, M-C canter... He was really funny after 15 mins or so on one rein, but just awkward and sticking to the other bend. Rather than create an issue, I just got off, to find actually my right spur had broken - the black ball had come off and left a square, sharp, flat end - poor Thomas! Glad I just got off....

Frantically ringing round trying to find the same spurs on Friday was a bit hectic - I couldn't find any. The only other ones I had were from Buddy's lazy days - 30mm prince of wales square ended - too much for Thomas. I eventually found someone stocking JHL Pro Steel Rollerballs - as close as I could find, so I got them, anxious how he would react in the arena with them. I only got them Saturday PM so had no time to test them... And he was VERY on his toes without anything on his hack on Saturday!!

Anyway, they were fine, and actually better than my ones that had broken, he seems to react much more to them, but without them being too much.

Sorry, back to the competition.

Thomas takes one step in the white boards and dies... and it is a long way to kick around....
    I took a risk and decided to warm up for just 2 tests before me. This seemed to work as he was much more responsive in the arena, and even through to his second test, which I just had a 20 mins wait, so popped on for just one test before me.

I am so pleased with him, having not done anything for so long...

First test was Prelim 1 - we came SECOND!!! With 73.2%
    I was over the moon (though I never find out my scores/placing (if so) until I've completely finished)

Second test was Prelim 12 - he was a bit lazier, as always in the second round. And I felt I had to use much more leg so didn't really think I did as well as the first (bare in mind I didn't know my score)...
    WE WON!! On 75.6%!!

This is our first red ribbon, and I'm thrilled to bit. The second test, the person in second was on 70.8% & I'm always a bit skeptical of judging at unaff, but scores in both classes ranged from mid-40's to high-70's (winner of first class got 77.4%).

The only thing I'm a bit gutted at is it is part of a league, so I've now got a few points from those placings, but I have to start again, and I've restricted myself out, and can only enter the open league classes.... Bit I'm more thrilled!

For all of you who got through the waffle at the start, and who got here, here's the videos:

PRELIM 1 - 73.2% (2ND)

PRELIM 12 - 75.6% (1ST)

Well done you guys Looking good!

well done!! Nice winning streak to carry on throughout the year hopefully!!

Wow what a start to the year well done!

Well Done Looking lovely as usual

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

fantastic
    well done you

Thanks for all the nice comments & well done's

Great videos! He is looking brill.

What a brilliant start to the year!