Thread: schooling

Smile schooling

l have a 2yr old and have been doing a fair bit of free schooling with him as will be introducing the lunge line over the coming months but when lm doing this he seems to be unbalanced when going round clockwise and when l get him to canter will sometimes start off on the right lead leg but then do a little bounce/shuffle and changes it he can also be very reluctant to go this way but l think that is because he feels unbalanced. has anyone got any ideas how to get him more balanced and keeping to the right lead leg? lm very new to this as have always had older horses so any help would be much appreciated

Default Re: schooling

I wouldn't worry to much, at 2 years old mine didn't know which legs were back legs and which were front let alone know what leg to canter on!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Is there any real need to start him so young? Especially canter work in an enclosed area? It's really not surprising he's struggling on his weaker rein. Could you not give him another year to figure out his own balance before asking more of him? It'll benefit him, and you, in the long run.

l didn't introduce cantering, especially on the lunge until mine were 3 as they are too unbalanced and physically immature to cope with balancing on a circle. Straight lines only, if at all lMO. When circles are introduced 2Om will be all they will be able to cope with initially and even then they won't be balanced enough to maintain a whole on.

Just be careful what you are doing as you could make his weaker side weaker...

the main reason lm free schooling him at present is due to the fact he got no turnout at present but lm not asking him to canter (only done it couple of times as noticed what he was doing) l only ask him to walk and sometimes trot but obviously every now and again he goes into canter prob due to excess energy or just what he wants to do
    As for the lunge line that at the moment is purely to get him to understand voice comands lm not planning on starting him lunging on a circle just walking round the school
    I got told 3 was the age to break them in (h8 that expression) is this not the case?

Default schooling

No set age in most cases, just when thy are mature an balanced enough to cope

I wouldn't be worrying at all about anything in the first post, just turn him out in the school and if he wants to hoon, let him, no need to loose achool imo
    Native pony addict!

If it helps, my youngster is 3 in May. Ill teach her to lunge and longline, then back her and take her for a few hacks. Then she'll be turned away again until spring 2014 when she'll revise all her previous stuff before I ride her regularly and consistently.

With time they themselves will make balance.

There is no age, really. I always say "when they are ready" which for my horses seems to be sometime between their 4th and 5th year ... It can be difficult when you have no turnout; but I def wouldn't be worrying about balance and leads in a 2yo. I probably wouldn't do too much lunging, either, as it does put strain on the joints. Long reining is kinder, and actually I find it gives better foundations of obedience, straightness and balance + allows you to introduce circles in a more controlled manner which in the long run seems to help their balance and teach them to carry themselves without falling in or whooshing round a circle!
    Good luck with your youngster. Photos!