Thread: What are your rising four year olds up to?

Default What are your rising four year olds up to?

I'd be interested to hear what everyone's 3 (turning four this year) year olds are doing roughly at the moment?

Alfie is 4 this year (where did that time go? ) all be in not untill the end of September!

At the moment he long-reins in the school quite happily all pretty much in walk unless I can summon up the energy in the wet to run behind him a tad but not very well out hacking-he will walk so far then stop, which we are working on! I also walk him out him hand to build confidence up down the track and he's been out on the road twice, again which I need to start doing again!

He also lunges quite well in walk and trot but as of yet not done any canter work. He's seen poles on the ground and long-reined over them and lunged over them for the first time the other evening and he didn't seem too phased about it.

Generally he has quite a good level of fitness for his age i'd say, not because he does much work as it's all quite intermitant the work he does do becuase of what hours I work-but he plays out a lot so has always been quite fit!

Obviously some horses would be being backed at his age but I dont feel he's ready for that yet hoping in the summer we can maybe start

It's all very intermitant at the moment what he does do, well he does the above but sometimes he might do nothing for a few weeks of do a few things a week it just depends on work unfortunately.

What are yours up to? And when do you think it would be best to introduce a saddle to his work?
    If I had nothing but I still had my horse and my Teddy, I'd still have everything I ever needed.

Indy.

I don't have a little'un currently, but sounds like you are getting on well with him. If he seems happy and settled with the lunging and long reining kit, I'd just start putting a saddle on instead of a roller for both activities in addition to walking him in hand with it on at first. Sounds like you are taking it nice and gently, so popping a saddle on in the spring seems a good plan.

I need to buy one first

Thinking with my money head on though, I was thinking of leaving it as long as I could to get one before actualy backing him just incase I bought one and his shape changed before I ended up backing him and then needed a new one really soon! So was thinking of getting one late spring/early summer and working him in it then as soon as he's ready using that to back him becuase I dont think it will take long for him to get used to. I'm pretty sure it wont last long because he's quite chunky at the moment so when he starts doing proper work and his muscle builds up more he's going to need it changing, im sure of it If thats makes sense...

Basically I dont want to buy one now, even though he would hapily wear it becuase he's not being backed for ages yet and I dont want his shape to change in between! Although, a few friends have offeren theirs to try so we might be able to borrow one as a stop gap before purchase
    If I had nothing but I still had my horse and my Teddy, I'd still have everything I ever needed.

Indy.

Default What are your rising four year olds up to?

Nothing! Other than general day to day handling. He was lightly sat on in the autumn and is more than used to bridles due to showing

Shall start him under saddle April time when he is that much more mature (he's gangly as due to be a big ponio)
    Native pony addict!

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Nothing! Other than general day to day handling. He was lightly sat on in the autumn and is more than used to bridles due to showing

Shall start him under saddle April time when he is that much more mature (he's gangly as due to be a big ponio)
    Apart from being a bit bum high Alfie's quite physicaly mature, it's a brain that needs to catch up
    He's never been sat on or leant over or anything yet, it's just the ground work we've been doing, I plan on leaving that untill the summer-hoepfully he'll be as unfussed about being sat on as he has been with the rest of it!

Indy.

Not a thing.. He's a big gangly, immature Cleveland Bay.. I'll likely not touch him til at least this time next year if he's levelled off a bit.. His cousin is much more mature physically and mentally and he's only 3 next month..

Malachy is 4 in september as well, but I have had many issues with this boy, mainly I feel from a young weaning then complete overhandling before I got him.
    I have really not done a lot with him except get manners and safety in place , he is really not very mature, and reacts violently to things he does not understand.
    clicker training has got us to a point where we can understand each other , and now i have just , as much as possible left him alone over the winter.
    This spring I will start work with him, he has some wolf teeth need to come out before a bit goes in , but he will not be backed untill at least september.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Mum View Post
    Malachy is 4 in september as well, but I have had many issues with this boy, mainly I feel from a young weaning then complete overhandling before I got him.
    I have really not done a lot with him except get manners and safety in place , he is really not very mature, and reacts violently to things he does not understand.
    clicker training has got us to a point where we can understand each other , and now i have just , as much as possible left him alone over the winter.
    This spring I will start work with him, he has some wolf teeth need to come out before a bit goes in , but he will not be backed untill at least september.
    Poor baby, sounds like a bit of a slow start! Glad you are reaching an understanding now though and might be able to do something this summer!

Indy.