Thread: carriage drivers advice please?

Default carriage drivers advice please?

I have previously trialled at club level with my new forest and absolutly loved it, she had to be retired and I bred a filly from her a new forest x trotter, she is rising 2 and stands just under 13hh. She is very fine and has lovely paces, is very quick and intelligent (sometimes too much so) I also have a traditional heavyweight cob filly who is 13hh on front end and 14hh on her quarters.

I am looking to drive to club level (I would love to go higher but would need more training to do so) which is likely to be the better mare for me to focus on for HDT outside? Is my chunky mare likely to loose out due to her weight and heavyness, or is the little mare likely to lack in strength, both are lovely and will stay with me im just curious which is likely to be the better option.

Driving I get exhilarated and with my old girl loved the way she could step up a gear never refused and was safe at all times.

ToffeeMonster drives her Moo, she should be able to help you out! And Wally of course .

Wally is on her holidays.

So, I dunno. There IMHO, no hard and fast rules. Train both up and see who takes to it best and who enjoys it most.

Often I see adverts that say "would make a fantastic driving pony", I always wonder how they know. Some do and truly don't no matter how long the training.

Haakon drives. His identical twin refuses point blank and nearly imploded when we put the shafts near him. You just don't know and, as you are not asking about pure breeds, then it is not a matter of adding the vagaries of the breed type to the mix.

Hope that makes sense. Suck it and see basically.

That's a hard one ! I don't think you will know until the yearling is fully grown but if she is 13hh already I reckon she'll make 14hh.

Harry was very fine and light and I couldn't see him being suitable for hdt hence why I put him on loan to a riding home. Moo is 13.2hh and stocky and seems to have no trouble turning or coping with hills and has a certain spark about him that I like. Can't wait to try him out

Totally agree with Frances though, you won't know until you try them x

Looks like im going to be busy then lol I think theyre both lovely so dont mind in the slightest my friend and I have differing opinions on who may take to it best will have to see x were just doing lots of walking out in hand currently to build up confidence on the roads before anything else, they absolutly love it!