Thread: After being off work all winter..?

Default After being off work all winter..?

..and starting to hack out again, how often and for how long would you ride out for? I took Bess out yesterday for about 40 mins mostly walk but with a 200 or so yard trot cos she really wanted to. I want to take her again tomorrow. Is it too much? I have to bear in mind her (currently sound) arthritic knee but the weather report says good weather....

If been in field 40mins walking I would say is fine and would continue with that for a week or so then add more trot. Really depends what point you want to fitten up to

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Mine was off for 6 weeks with an injury but mostly been out 24/7, so has retained some fitness. However, he had lost all his topline, so we started with longreining in walk and we are now doing 30mins walking road hacks alternated with 30mins walk and trot long reining.

If I was in your situation, I'd probably do at least a week of walk hacks under an hour long before introducing much trot/longer time ridden.

Default After being off work all winter..?

I do an assessment ride first. What I'm aiming for is a proper matching walk. I see how long she can keep that up for before starting to tire. That's then my starting point.

I then increase each subsequent ride by 5 mins each time until I get up to my optimum ride length.

Once I'm up to my optimum ride length them I introduce a couple of short bursts of trot. I'm feeling for how long she takes to recover and if its fairly swift then I'll increase the length of trotting. If not, I'll stick to that time until I'm happy with her recovery time. I keep increasing in this way. Once I've got the amount of trot appropriate to the work we do then i'll introduce extended canters in the same way.

My mare likes to run though! Although conventional fit tending programmes don't have you cantering until your trot has been built up, I choose very good level ground to give her a couple of short canters whilst still at the walk and trot phases to satisfy her need for speed! Nothing too hectic, short and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the others have said, hacking hacking and more hacking with lots of walking

Great. I'll get her out again tomorrow then. (sorry for the overacting smiley, I've really missed riding!)

You don't realise how much you miss it til you start again do you?!

Blaze has pretty much been off since september and I have been riding him as often as I can either at night under the floodlights of the school getting him walking at a good pace or out hacking for 40 mins - 1hr. I have recently been adding in bursts of trot increasing them each time

He is lasking a lot of topline so I have been lunging at walk pushing him forward to use his back end and he has been stretching down nose to floor, so we shall hopefully start building up soon again!