Thread: Thoughts on VW LT diesel 3.5t horsebox

Default Thoughts on VW LT diesel 3.5t horsebox

A friend of mine has found a very sweet box for sale for not much money and I said I would ask my wise TO pals if they have any experience of them?
    It's pretty old - E reg I think - but in very good condition. She is waiting for info on unladen weight, mileage etc but as a general rule are these boxes reliable, powerful enough to carry one horse (think it's a 2.5 engine) and able to travel around a bit without any worry. She was told it had no power steering but was easy to manoevre.
    Any thoughts? Good or avoid?

I had a VW LT 35 briefly about 8 years ago, it was also E reg. It came (unknown) with a few mechanical problems and we found parts were very expensive, although to be fair a turbo for anything is going to be expensive! Bearing in mind it's age you will have the likelyhood of repairs at some point.

Even with the work done it felt fairly underpowered. The biggest dislike I had with it was that they tend to be high, which means a steeper ramp and a high body whcih caught the wind and I felt was unstable especially on corners with opposite camber. My mare never travelled particularly well in it and got progressively worse.

I found easy to drive though, ours didn't have power steering, but if you are used to driving vehicles with powersteering you might take a bit of getting used to it.

As with any box I would make sure you get the unladen weight from a weighbridge as some of the conversions are surprisingly heavy and have little payload, even for just one horse.

I wouldn't have one again although with the work we did on ours it's probably still going like a train!

My friend has a one and it only has a 800 payload, which i pretty rubbish really? One pony plus stuff.

My 2001 Renault Master has a payload of 1250 and i can't take more than 2x 14.2hhs with show equipment.
    Native pony addict!

Have to say it was the payload and the potentially underpowered engine that concerned me when she first told me about it

The engine power I wouldn't worry about - my 6tonne lorry has a 2.5 turbo engine, and it pulls along really well. I would, however, worry about the payload - I suspect you might be ok with a small pony and that's about it.
    Fjords - the best pony in the world!

l have one that is coachbuilt with luton and living. lt's really reliable and although it lacks a lttle power l have still had it up to 6O on the motorway. lt defnitely drives like a waggon rather than a van though!

lf you get on check out what it is actually made of - mine is coach built, aluminium and very light so l come up underweight fully laden with a 16h and 14h2 - l weigh bridged it...

l wouldn't swap it for the world!

Not sure how expensive it is for parts as it hasn't broken down and needed any yet...

I'm not saying you're lying but i cannot imagine how a coachbuilt LT has a higher payload than my incredibly lightweight Master!

I'd be overweight with a 14.2 and a 16.2 unless they were hatracks or i had nothing else onboard like water, tack, haynets and passenger.
    Native pony addict!

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I'm not saying you're lying but i cannot imagine how a coachbuilt LT has a higher payload than my incredibly lightweight Master!

I'd be overweight with a 14.2 and a 16.2 unless they were hatracks or i had nothing else onboard like water, tack, haynets and passenger.
    l took it to the weigh bridge so unless the weighbridge was faulty l was under. 2 horses, tack, water, hay me and a passenger. Oh and two lurchers...

lf anyone has any doubts as to their payload the only safe way is to get it weighed