Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me make a decision!!

Default Please help me make a decision!!

Over the years I have gone back and forth between transport.
    Initially I got an IFOR 505 which I then sold and got a 7.5t truck. Later on I then sold this and got a Cheval Liberte trailer that I love.
    We have been really spoilt over the last year or so as our YM competes a lot and always asked us to join her so she took us most places in her truck. We only had to use our trailer occassionally.
    The problem now is that the YM has moved away and our tow car has now started playing up and I wouldn't be happy pulling the trailer very far with it.
    One option is to sell this 4x4 and get a new one but only really need a big car for that one purpose. The other option is to consider buying our friends lorry but just not sure what to do?
    Have just got back from looking at lorry and it's fair to say you need a lot of imagination!!
    The GOOD points -
    It would be very cheap
    Is a 1996 I think so not too old
    It drives beautifully, very car like and not like my old lorry that I hated
    It has enough of a living for us to stay away at shows if needed
    Had new brakes last year, has had a new gearbox, new floor and ramp
    Has only done about 70k
    Once plated could be used straight away
    The NOT SO GOOD points -
    It is unplated
    It is very ugly at the moment
    Has lots of surface rust, but no holes that I could see
    Would need lots of TLC inside to make it liveable (has moss growing on the inside of the window at the moment)
    The horse area is basic and long term would need new partitions
    There are lots of jobs that need doing and not sure who would do them cheaply

Really in two minds as there is a lot of work to be done and I would prob need to plate it which is a risk. However I could get it CHEAP and could use it whilst getting bits done. I have had a quote to prep and respray of approx. 1400 for whole thing. There is also a chance that my friend would take my trailer instead. There is no doubt that I would end up with a lorry worth more than I paid for it.

Sorry this is so long but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Do it!! Especially if your friend will do a straight swap :} You could completely start from scratch and have it just how you want it, rather than paying for someone elses taste :}

Anyone else?

I prefer a trailer and tow car to a lorry, cheaper in the long run really. But if your getting it for a bargain and are willing to DIY it then why not. Spraying does cost a fair bit, even just touch ups as it has to be blended in

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beastie View Post
    I prefer a trailer and tow car to a lorry, cheaper in the long run really.
    Depends on what you drive. l swapped my landrover and trailer for a little run around and a 3.5t - cost far less to run than having to run around in a 4x4 every day regardless of whether you are towing or not...And my little waggon seems to be more economical than the landrover too :}

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    Depends on what you drive. l swapped my landrover and trailer for a little run around and a 3.5t - cost far less to run than having to run around in a 4x4 every day regardless of whether you are towing or not...And my little waggon seems to be more economical than the landrover too :}
    Well we run two cars and if I had a lorry it would still be two cars and a lorry ir be running, taxing MOT'ing etc

Easier just to get the Xtrail (excellent MPG ) and my little clio running and trailer sitting costing me nowt but a service (60) per year.

Thats just me though Id also need to fork out a licence for a bigger lorry and having the two to tow I wouldnt get two plus us and kit in a 3.5t not enopught of a payload

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Part the reason I am happy for the 4x4 to go is that it is my everyday car too. Costs me a fortune in petrol :O My daughter Jess will be taking her test soon so ideally we could get a cheap little car to share and then just use the truck when needed. My truck before wasn't too much to tax and insure I seem to remember. So would hopefully work out more economical too.
    Plus I can't ever seem to totally get to grips with a trailer. I'm more than happy towing it it's just the manoevering and parking that still can be an issue at times

I say Lorry. Purely I'm not a trailer fan, at all. Just the thought of my horses in trailers makes me a bit nervous. Only once has scooby done a long distance in one and I was only unconcerned as my friends mum was driving and shes one of the most experienced drivers I know (driven artics the lot) and we were driving behind.

Have you any mechanic friends to look over lorry? Sounds like a good deal if you have the funds to get it up to standard for you and horses etc?

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Friends of a friend could look it over for me. I know the history of the lorry so it's past doesn't worry me but it has stood still for a while so would need someone to assure me that it is pretty sound.

From knowing our 7.5ton (when we had one).... air brakes after sat about, battery, and alternator are huge things (that's about as far as my knowledge goes... I'm useless )

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.