Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help me make a decision!!

I would never have a petrol towing car no wonder your cost are through the roof

Good Luck with the lorry, will be a good project to get back on the road

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Ooo a tip - to save on your handbreak {which will snap if left on for a period}, just leave it in first gear, or reverse if parked on a slight incline in the other direction...

I've had my little lorry about a month now - after doing sums, it is cheaper for me to run my 6t lorry and a small car (that peugeot just add fuel deal) than it is to run the 4x4. I do a lot of miles for work, so the money I save on diesel and associated costs pays for the lorry! I also feel safer driving the lorry, and it means I can take Jos further now as it will be easier for him to travel in it. My lorry is not pretty yet, but is mechanically sound and has a good floor. Once I get the little jobs inside her done (doing most of them myself) she will be a cracker!
    Fjords - the best pony in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Mellymoo View Post
    I've had my little lorry about a month now - after doing sums, it is cheaper for me to run my 6t lorry and a small car (that peugeot just add fuel deal) than it is to run the 4x4. I do a lot of miles for work, so the money I save on diesel and associated costs pays for the lorry! I also feel safer driving the lorry, and it means I can take Jos further now as it will be easier for him to travel in it. My lorry is not pretty yet, but is mechanically sound and has a good floor. Once I get the little jobs inside her done (doing most of them myself) she will be a cracker!
    That is what l have found too but noone on here seems to believe me lol. Thanks for confirming ;}

How many horses are you taking with you? If it's one of two, what about a 3.5t - these don't need plating, just an MOT each year and service every 2 years. Ours taxes at 215 for the year, and the insurance is only 280 without breakdown recovery on.

They are so easy to drive, and as long as you get a good coach builder, who reinforces the bulk head and at least half way up the sides, they are built very well. Beware of cheaper versions, they often aren't reinforced. Usually you can tell this. I know of one that has a payload allowance of well over two big horses (plus all the tack and jockeys) whereas ours, if you put two big horses in, I wouldn't want all the tack and jockeys travelling too - I think you'd be over. Ours has reinforced everything, bulkhead, full sides, padding to the sides, partition (full height with extra), and the wall to the separate living is also reinforced.

I'd recommend these from good coach builders any day. From a bad coach builder or cheap versions, I'd maybe stay away. Just depends on budget too.

We had this trailer or box situation. In the end I sat down and looked at how many times I'm planning/hoping to go out ths year and worked out how much it would cost to hire a box. Then worked out running costs on a range of lorries, factoring in depreciation in value, tax, mot, insurance, breakdown etc and It worked out about half the price to hire verses buy.

I opted for the trailer as that costs little to keep for emergencies and easy shows, and will just hire on occasions a box for longer trips etc.

Unless you do a lot of travelling it's probably not worth it.
    Last edited by Thestral; 04-03-2013 at 12:45. Reason: iPad changing words!

That was the conclusion we came to too. Not saying I wouldn't like all the bells and whistles big posh box with living, because I would, but for us getting rid of the 4x4 is a non-starter anyway as it is used for a lot more than just hauling horses around.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

I'd go with the wagon every time.

We don't travel to shows any more like we used to but when we do go somewhere it tends to be a good few hours of a journey - and for that I prefer a wagon.

We have a 7.5t that we bought a couple of months ago - nice tidy wagon, small living and will take 3 horses herringbone. I've insured it on a limited mileage policy which only cost 140 for the year and the tax was 205 - it was already plated. Because of the size and weight of ours it's actually more economical to take them somewhere in the box than it is with the 4x4 and trailer.

We still need the 4x4 for carting large baled hay around and for moving shavings etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beastie View Post
    I would never have a petrol towing car no wonder your cost are through the roof

Good Luck with the lorry, will be a good project to get back on the road
    You're joking right? Our 7.5t is better on fuel than our old discovery when not towing! Both are diesel. Tax is also less on a lorry than on a 4x4, and insurance, so whilst yes you're taxing and insuring two vehicles, it's approx same price to get a lorry and a small car.

Id only ever put my horses in a lorry these days, they're far more protected and its comfier than in a trailer, yes I've been in both!

But OP, I'd get a mechanic to cast a good eye over it, surface rust could be just that - or it could be deeper and in which case, I'd be tempted to walk away. All else is easier to work with, but you need a sound chassis to work with.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

Lorry everytime for me , I would be terrified of towing; I have a 1991 Leyland, had it 8 years now , I can get to Holkham beach from Market Harborough on 80 worth of diesel ( about 200 miles )