Thread: dealing with rearing

Default dealing with rearing

Hi, my little mare is officially backed! She is a little sharp sometimes. On the lunge, was working well, then when the other pony left the school...she obviously wanted to go too, so she reared in objection (yes a vertical so you can see mane, saddle and flowing tail!)and faffed for a minute but I pushed her on and she settled again.(she occasionally will buck and kick out at my direction! although not for a while) I didn't actually do anything except toughened my voice and used my body language and whip (not on her!) to make her. She did the same yesterday when my 7 yr daughter walked up to the school to tell me something, she decided to rear because she spooked a little , so I actually flicked her legs with whip and told her in no uncertain terms to 'get on'! She then went on to work nicely. I don't lunge her for more than about 20 -30 mins about 3 times a week. She was 4 in November (late foal). I then got on her and rode her up the lane, she will go forward nicely but will hesitate if I let her. (yesterday she was more than happy to go forward and enjoy it) She hasn't reared with me on her...and I don't fancy that either!! I got on her after a little lunge last week and the cat followed us up to the school and was hiding in the bushes! So Shabby was on hot coals looking at it...I know she was thinking about rearing and spinning round to look again...ears practically touching! I managed to get her off balance by turning her head one way going forward then the other still going forward so i think got out of that one ok.

She is Anglo Arab and a little madam sometimes. She is on grass, haylage and small feed, of chaff n pony cubes...with garlic, seaweed and equiminns. 1 to 2 times a day (depending whether she is in or out )

How would others deal with this? I want to stamp it out, but obviously she is young and a bit on her toes!

Will she settle in carrying on, or should I be 'beating her!' lol! Her tack fits wel,l and she used to do it in the field when approaching me when I took hay and feed out...but I chase her off if she did it and she hasn't done it for ages so it is a youngstrer thing I guess.

Sorry long post...making for lack of!! thanks x

It sounds like your doing the right things to me

Alfie can behave very similar sometimes (he's 3 and a half now) and sounds for similar reasons too. He will rear when tied up at the hose pipe if he's worked up (hates a bath ) and I leave him etc and for behavior like this he is just totally ignored. Also for example if I was leading him out down the bridle path and asked him to walk through a big puddle he would refuse to move forward through it and if I kept asking it would lead to a rear- he will threat before he does it but I'm not going to stop asking! so once he's reared (which gets no reaction from me) I will simply ask him to walk on again and by this point he has realised he has to so will walk on nicely!

He's never reared on the lunge but will buck and spin etc and like you do, the behavior itself gets ignored and he just gets told to 'trot on' or what ever it may be and get him moving forward again and then he settles and works well
    All these behaviors used to be very common from him but by not giving in to him (where its safe to) and not rising to it (If I shout or smack him we just end up in a battle of strength!) and he really does them very rarely now and will quickly realise if he does its got him no where! :lol

Good luck with her!
    If I had nothing but I still had my horse and my Teddy, I'd still have everything I ever needed.

Indy.

Sounds like it is a confidence thing with her rather than a nappy thing, I would just carry on asking her to work through it without giving in to the tantrum and hopefully soon she will get over it.

What everyone else has said - she's young and doesn't know what she is and isn't allowed to do in those circumstances yet and will push boundaries... As long as you make it clear that it is unacceptable and push her on into work she'll grow out of it. Making a big issue of it or totally ignoring it can make it worse. Just push her on and work her through it and the second she behaves how you want, let off her and give her tons of praise :} Sounds like you are doing just fine :} x

My pony used to rear a lot.Its his defence mechanism when hes scared..rear and run hes more or less grown out of it now he trusts me but if he panics its still his thing

Thank you guys for your input...it has definately given me the confidence I needed to know I was on the right track! I think you areall right about it being a confidence thing, and perhaps not being 'naughty' I wasn't 100% sure. I don't think that she must have been deliberatly planning to do it. So I need to just ignore and 'push on' . Just hope she doesn't rear while I'm on her! xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby Chic View Post
    So I need to just ignore and 'push on' . Just hope she doesn't rear while I'm on her! xxx
    As long as they are moving forwards they can't rear - the trick is to ancicipate that stop before they rear and don't allow it to happen - easier said than done of course...

[QUOTE=RoughRider;799579]As long as they are moving forwards they can't rear - the trick is to ancicipate that stop before they rear and don't allow it to happen - easier said than done of course...[/

so if I think she is looking at something ..which she then might plant her feet...just keep on trying to pull her off balance with lots of leg and tweek with schooling whip on shoulder or behind my leg, to carry on forwards towards it? I suppose we'll get the hang of this bit! xx

SC - l wouldn't use a whip on the shoulder as that will block forwards movement in a wound up youngster and potentially send them backwards. l use lots of voice commands and squeezy leg nudges when mine get nervy on hacks - seems to work better than harsh legs or a whip. l use a whip for backup if they ignore the voice and leg but it rarely gets to this if l anticipate their reaction and act before :}