Thread: Weekend Update * VIDEOS*

Default Weekend Update * VIDEOS*

OK, this will be a long one!

I'd been thinking about going XC schooling for a few days, but I wasn't really sure about whether the course was full open, and if it wasn't, would there be a good variety to jump...? Anyway, Saturday was a beautiful crisp morning, so I decided that we would journey down to North Yorkshire to enjoy some XC schooling at Breckenbrough. It only takes just over an hour and as it is such a good facility, it is worth the travel.

We had a great time, jumping lots of things we hadn't really seen before - ditches, skinnies (very skinny some!), corners, drops, stairs, trakehners... Thomas really isn't very fit so I was pleased to go somewhere that I didn't have to just gallop about linking fences that were really far apart. We enjoyed doing some more technical jumps (skinny to ditch to skinny on a curve), and doing our first corner. I enjoyed jumping down drops and stairs to get used to the sensation from canter, and start to feel more comfortable with it.

Here's a little video of us over a combination:

I also didn't want to do too much with Thomas as we were planned in for competing on Sunday - CT with a novice dressage and 95cm SJ.

I was worried that Thomas would be a little stiff, but he seemed fine - better that me whose back was as stiff as a board!!

Off we went to our competition. I wasn't holding out hope as our last time to this was our first Novice, and we got 45.7 (BE scoring) and really lacked energy. Last weekend we also did some dressage and it wasn't our best, but this week, I've worked Thomas quite a lot on forwardness, doing lots of transitions and keeping my bending work going.

I started to warm up and Thomas only really needs 15 mins max, so as they were behind, I really struggled with keeping him enthusiastic and keen - if I give him a long rein, he thinks he is finished and then lacks everything when you start back up. The judge seemed to take a while before tooting to start, but I didn't feel Thomas was a chilled out as normal, much more power underneath me but yet relaxed. I was pleased with the test - we did N24. We scored 38.1 (BE scoring again) so I was thrilled as this test is much harder than the 90's and I was a consistent 37 last season!

Here's a video of the test:

The judge gave me some really good constructive feedback, so I'm looking forward to finding some exercises to help improve in those areas - engagement, lightening the forehand and becoming more freely forward.

Onto the jumping.

The warm up was tight, and isn't ideal when I'm not great at cornering AND being forward, but after a few jumps we improved a bit. I don't like jumping too much in a warm-up so when straight in after 4 jumps.

Thomas really tried, and I feel much more forward that the last time we were there. It's a shame I messed up the turn coming into three - too busy kicking on and making sure I didn't lose my forward thinking, so I think 4a & b down were my fault. I had 7 down too, & it was on a strange angle, a dog leg that hadn't bent.... hence I jumped it on the diagonal.

I was pleased that number 12 wasn't a disaster as my OH had seen a number of stops and run out at it, and just as I came from the wagon, I saw someone fall at it from either a duck out or stop...

Here's the round:

Overall, I'm really pleased, although there is still plenty for us to be working on.

If anyone has any tips for the exercises I mentioned relating to the dressage, I'd be open to hearing them

Thanks for reading (if you go this far!)

fab report love the look of that xc course!

Shame about the couple of poles down, tbh I dont think your turn into 3 was all that bad at all really, with a little extra impulsion he could prob have picked himself up a bit and not had those down, but that will come with the excercises you plan to do. Great post by Char on your other thread, I would also add in walk to canter, really good for getting them sat back and using their behind.
    Size 34" Shires Huntingdon Green Tweed Show Jacket for sale as too big. Only worn twice, immaculate condition. Cost 89.99, make me an offer

Default Weekend Update * VIDEOS*

Well done. A great report! He looks really well in the vids.
    You are so dedicated!

Someone's looking more forward
    Fab update!
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Great update and vids

Looking good to me!

Thanks everyone, I'm really pleased with my forwardness improvement, even in the dressage. I only have 2x 25 min schooling sessions last week on Monday & Friday, but I did so many transitions!

I have to say that my feed addition of D&H competition concentrate is working a dream (so far). Thomas hasn't been out in the field since just before Xmas, is fed basic chaff and basic mix. I added the concentrate to his diet a week ago Friday gone, and it's not made him silly or fizzy, but even though he is quite unfit at the moment, and after all the work this weekend, each walk-trot transition I did in the 20 minutes this evening he had a spring in his step. I'm finding it really good for work recovery and energy maintenance. He is just fed 1x scoop of mix, 1/2 scoop chaff, 1x scoop of concentrate - all that split into his two feeds a day. He'll stay on this when he first goes out, with chaff reduced, then he'll go onto a chaff like Dengie Alpha A, and when in hard fitness work, i'll add in some naked oats (slowly!).

Really pleased. Looking forward to improving some other areas!