Thread: Backing midas & bitting question?

Default Backing midas & bitting question?

So we're back on track with backing Midas after a hell of a year with new builds and health issues!
    Got on him last week after lungeing with no issues so been just working slowly on steering. Yesterday it was like he told me steering is easy and he is ready to trot so that's possibly today's lesson
    i do have a question to add. He is in an eggbutt snaffle and he likes to play with the bit. Has never gotten tongue over bit but you can see him rolling his tongue about. I'm not changing his bit as there are no control issues, he is just playing with the bit. I'm wondering if I should be putting s flash on him? I'm not a fan of this idea as I don't think he is evading and I'm not a tight flash fitter! Should I continue to allow him to play with the bit or assume he may learn to evade the bit? He is very clever lol x
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is it a single or double joint?

I'd be far more inclined to change to a bit he is more comfy in before i'd put a flash on. A loose fitted flash will not stop the fiddling and tongue rolling.
    Native pony addict!

Leave him to it Hun. Moo is just starting to stop this now and I've let it happen of his own accord. When he is working properly he doesn't play with it and that's the main thing. Not a fan of strapping mouth shut

It's just a single joint bit and he shows no signs that he dislikes it, just seems to be having a good chew...he always is putting things in his mouth anyway lol

Quote Originally Posted by Toffee Monster View Post
    Leave him to it Hun. Moo is just starting to stop this now and I've let it happen of his own accord. When he is working properly he doesn't play with it and that's the main thing. Not a fan of strapping mouth shut
    This is what I was thinking but wanted to be sure

Thanks guys x

Lance has only now, 4 years after backing, stopped playing with the bit. He does evade a little in a simple cavesson so goes in a drop. But still plays just as much. Noticed the other day he doesn't really do it any more but I think it stopped recently.

Our horses was always playing with the big and he preferred to have a lose flash on. I just think he felt more secure.