Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumpcross training - lots of flying feather pics!

Default Jumpcross training - lots of flying feather pics!

I took Rolo Jumpcross training today, at Codham Park, a new venue only 45 minutes away at towing speed. We haven't done much jumping over the winter, and I have not ridden as much as usual due to illness, but we had a lesson a couple of weeks ago, and decided to go for it! It was an intro class - 2ft to 2ft6, with 6 in the group. And for the first time ever, OH cane to take photos!!

Rolo was a bit excited in the warm up, with a lot of sideways jogging, and a bit of napping, but he was manageable.

The warm up fences went ok, but my position is awful!

The we moved onto the course, and tackled the first two fences...or rather, everyone else did! Every time I tried to send Rolo forward, he just went backwards! He was really stubborn. All the others went off one by one, and he wouldn't follow them, even when we were left alone! One of the watching friends eventually came and led us towards the jump, and once he was moving I managed to persuade him to trot on! Grrr...

I was told to sit up more

We then moved on to a skinny, and yet again I had napping issues, but we managed to take a lead from another horse and eventually we made it to the jump. I tried to sit up more.

Then a double, which was reasonably straightforward. On to a skinny with a tight turn after into a water splash. We were back near the lorry park, and Rolo was really badly behaved, as I think he wanted to go home . The instructor was giving me good advice to get him moving, but we were crabbing sideways most of the time, with little bucks whenever I pushed him on. Not the way to approach a jump!! Once we were a few strides away, he then locked on, took hold, and charged the fence.

That made the tight turn into the water very interesting...

By this time I was getting a bit fed up with his antics, and was wondering if I should just quit. Every now and then there were snow showers blasting into our faces as well. But the next fences were nicely spaced out, and Rolo started to relax a bit, and we started to enjoy ourselves!

As we approached the next skinny, the wind gusted and the pole fell off in front of us!! Rolo swerved!

Second time round it went better!

Next was a water splash followed by a jump, and now I was having the opposite problem - he didn't want to wait his turn . Much easier to deal with though.

The there was a set of four jumps all round a huge field, and we had a ball!

Then a last offset double, where the instructor said that my position was much improved, and our line was textbook

I am so glad I stuck with it, as once we were over the napping, Rolo was a pleasure to ride, and we had a fab time

Great thread and fab pics

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Superb pics . You both look fabulous . What a great day . It makes me feel so chuffed that I have been lucky enough to ride him myself! What a fun day you have had : ))
    Looking forward to seeing you both again soon . I love Rolo xxx

Looks like you had a fab time in the end :-) fantastic pics and well sat by you in quite a few of those pics. He's looking really well by the way.

Brilliant thread to read Mandy! Rolo looks fantastic bless him and you look really good too. I love love love his little face with a forelock!

He looks fab!!! Well done for perservering!!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Fab pics. Looks like great fun!

fab pics, glad you had a great day after his antics at the start!

Sounds like he was a little toad to begin with (although with a face like his it's hard to believe that he could ever be naughty ) - so well done for persevering! The pair of you look better and better as the pictures go on

look at those ears in the last photo! Well done for perservering - you both look like you are enjoying yourselves, and it looks like great fun!