Thread: what could i get?

Default what could i get?

I have bred my chestnut new forest with sabino gene(with 99 percent chestnut in family line) to my black and white traditional cob i dont know the colour of his parents but he has thrown majority black and white with a solid bay to my bay cob?

Also one of my traditional fillies isn't homozygous what chance is there of her throwing coloured

Strange time of the year to breed a foal, and a bit of a redundant question after the fact but anyways...

To your first question... you have equal, and equally small chances of getting anything under the sun.

It doesn't matter a jot that your chestnut mare came from a line of chestnuts, its recessive, and she can only pass on one chestnut allele, which is not enough to produce a chestnut horse.

Bay, Black, Chesnut, bay, black, chestnut with sabino, or bay, black, chestnut with tobiano. The chestnut will actually depend on whether your stallion is a red carrier.

Bit of a gamble if you actually care what colour your horse is.

As far as your second question (I'm almost afraid to ask!) Isn't homozygous for what? Is this the coloured yearling you bought last year?

In all honesty i dont breed for colour i breed for temperament conformation and type. I was curious as friend felt a chestnut and white was likely and was confirming my thoughts re this.

Re black and white homozygous no this isn't re my two yr old as she is homozygous it is a mare i am selling either way useful to know but an answer in place should anyone ask the question

I am actually backing my broodmare this autumn and bringing bramble back into work as well as the fact i have over halved the horses i have with a couple more to sell this summer as im taking time off breeding to get my stally going well and grade hopefully in the next two years so please dont be overly negative as dont want this thread to digress into a breed or dont breed thread x

Quote Originally Posted by bramblesmum View Post
    In all honesty i dont breed for colour i breed for temperament conformation and type. I was curious as friend felt a chestnut and white was likely and was confirming my thoughts re this.

Re black and white homozygous no this isn't re my two yr old as she is homozygous it is a mare i am selling either way useful to know but an answer in place should anyone ask the question

I am actually backing my broodmare this autumn and bringing bramble back into work as well as the fact i have over halved the horses i have with a couple more to sell this summer as im taking time off breeding to get my stally going well and grade hopefully in the next two years so please dont be overly negative as dont want this thread to digress into a breed or dont breed thread x
    Well unless your stallion is a red carrier, there is no chance of any of the chestnut combinations, including chestnut and white. If you know his parentage, you may be able to ascertain whether he is or not, but even as a red carrier, you have no guarantee he will pass it on.

A lottery, with as low a chance, as 1/10 I'd say, as a red carrier of having a chestnut tobiano.