Thread: Eden Valley - First Run of the Season!

Default Eden Valley - First Run of the Season!

It was a relatively early start to Saturday - we were up at 5.30am ready to get to the yard for 6.30am ish. Good news was that we were set off by 6.45am so 15 mins ahead of time

We followed another wagon from our yard that was also going, & were looking forward to all enjoying a day out together.

I'd got my new saddles just under two weeks ago, and with Thomas' over reach injury, I'd only been able to lightly school in my dressage saddle twice, so the feeling was still pretty new to me and having my legs that long!! Thomas was a little tense in the warm up, it wasn't far from the XC start and tannoys, but he wasn't silly. We warmed up in a rather busy warm up, getting cut up plenty of times!!

Our dressage arena was the furthest, right next to the entrance road into the event, where all the wagons and cars came in. Thomas doesn't have the best concentration so there was lots to take his mind off dressage... We did an OK test, not our best by any means. We struck off wrong in the second canter transition, and he was a little lacking from looking at everything overall. We came into the halt just a bit not square, but soft, however a car pulled off and skidded and he lifted his head just before I saluted... never mind We got a score of 40.5 so plenty to work on for Northallerton in a few weeks, but not too displeasing, I was dreading a much worse score!!

As my instructor was competing, I'd not walked the XC before dressage so I could do so with her. The course was nice and flowing, and although came past home 3 times (!!!) was a good test, with some hills included and some good meaty fences; double of offset saw benches, open ditch and trakehner. The water was good too; a roll top a few strides before and a jump out, much better than just cantering through as some do. I was pleased that not much shared with the BE80 but that a few were shared with the BE100 (on & off the bank, trakenher, skinny hedge, jump out of the water and the last).

I realised that I was quite late for SJ, but knew it shouldn't be a problem too much. The stewards were fab - they only allowed 4 in the warm up which was great. The course was in a small arena, and was a nice course, nothing intimidating.

Thomas warmed up well and was jumping nicely. It was soon my turn with just 4, but that suits me as I don't jump much in the warm up, and really just need a trot and canter around. I'm not quite sure what happened over fence 4 & 5, he was jumping well, hit the right strides but brought them down. I've just invested in some Kentucky tendon and fetlock boots to try and make his legs sharper, so I'm planning on having a lesson in those to help us. As you came over 8 (planks - I was convinced I'd have these down, but didn't! Yey!) a big striding horse like Tomas was soon looking at fence 1, rather than the turn to fence 9. He locked onto 1, which I really had to pull him out of, and unfortunately, mess up our turn to 9a, we got under it and took the top rails out, but after working hard in the middle, left 9b standing.

Here's the video - hopefully, you'll all agree that the riding and way of going is much better (aside from 9a). I feel unlucky at the 3 I did have down.

Then onto XC, and I was really nervous suddenly. I left everyone at the wagon while I went to the warm up. I had about a 10 minute wait, so after walking around until two horses before me, I had a practice at the hanging log and pheasant feeder/house. Thomas flew both, so as the horse before me set off, I went over to the start. The steward told me I was on 30 seconds - I said I wasn't very brave so he may want to let the horse behind have longer before setting off. He was great, and gave me 1.5 minutes before setting them off, or so he said. Thomas flew out the start, knowing exactly what he had to do! I was conscious he wasn't very fit, and had a big steep hill so didn't want to push him until after that, even though he was very keen.

Here's a video of coming over 2 & 3:

Then we got another coming through the water, around the bend and heading back to home for the last:

We were clear and in the time XC so finished on 52.5. Although I was disappointed in my dressage and SJ, this is the same sort of mark as we finished on last season (50.6 & 54.2). I'm planning on working hard on my dressage before Northallerton and hopefully the SJ will continue to come together. I also plan on doing much more fitness work - Thomas also went in the field for the first time on Sunday!!! So this should help too!

Here's all the photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=89134b4721

I hope everyone else had a good weekend & enjoyed themselves. Anyone else doing Eden Valley, I hope you enjoyed it too!

Looks like a fab day and great result for your first time out! Well done

Well done!! Sounds like a good start to the season

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

Nottingham (Uni)/Llandrindod Wells (Home)

Well done Definitely an improvement on last year from the SJ video. I think the only problem there was that you just let him bowl on a bit too much so he got longer and longer and didn't round over his back enough. Keeping him shorter and more together would have helped the turn for 9a as well. But you both look so much more together and confident, onwards and upwards

Well done I was spectating on the sunday, and the less fit ones were really struggling with the climb up the hill to the brush, so you did well to make the time if hes not that fit (or hes fitter than you think ) good luck for the next one
    Size 34" Shires Huntingdon Green Tweed Show Jacket for sale as too big. Only worn twice, immaculate condition. Cost 89.99, make me an offer

Well done, gotta say i love Thomas, he looks very honest . The dressage looked good to me, was it just me or were the arena's very small? probably just me but they did look a bit tiny . I think, not that i know much about sj, that your show jumping did look a lot more flowing, just a shame he can be a little lazy with his legs sometimes but i'm sure that'll come . X country looked fab to me, he looks like he knows what he's doing and looks very honest, gotta say i think all you guys who event are very brave

Thanks - I am a little biased, but he is a lovely horse, and so honest! He really tries, although when he gets in a knot with himself, he still shows that he doesn't have to be that easy, but if the worst it gets is a little tense, I can't complain! Just about to write up my Northallerton report - although we didn't do very well! It's also already on my blog...