Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Midas chronicles

Default The Midas chronicles

Ok, so I've owned Midas (corscarron dafyyd llwyd) for a year and am only just starting a diary so will get up to date as best I can
    very excited about this as will help visualise the journey

1st April 2012 -
    i bought Midas as a rising 3yr old only just castrated gelding from a friend. The dream was always for a welsh d but Midas just happened to become available... I was looking for another horse but it seriously (a medical condition and a serious op forced me to sell a tb I used to own).
    Having years of experience with youngsters and difficult horses as part of my job, I thought a 3yr old to back would be a dodle. Needless to say Midas proved me very wrong!! Typical welsh with a passion for food, he settled into a new yard pretty well and was used to being stable/lone turnout so wasn't bothered if left alone. But this brought along other issues....
    midas was extremely Riggy and didn't know how to mingle with other horses, he couldn't tie near others and the sheer thought of him seeing others either moving on/off yard or turned out at same time as him sent him wild! He also lacked any respect for me and pretty much knocked me over at any given opportunity!
    so the groundwork started...everything from him allowing me to touch his belly to leading sensibly just on the yard was worked on! Thankfully by may improvements were seen and by June he was turned out with an older welsh gelding who soon shaped him up and showed him how to behave in civilised company lol!
    From about may I began to introduce lungeing....and I realised just how clever Midas is as he had lungeing sussed within 2 days
    equifest - I foolishly booked Midas in for equifest, a couple in hand classes and an overnight stay.....we would get loads of chances to go to shows(he hadn't been to show since a baby). Derry show we booked was cancelled due to appauling weather :-( then came equifest and we were in no way prepared. Midas was still at times difficult to handle. W decided to go but turn for home if any issues arose! Well what can I say, absolute gentleman! He told patiently waiting hours for class to start and settled in stable immediately, he called like a baby a lot but his manners were to die for! Ok no placings but his behaviour impeccable!
    august - so Midas was lungeing well, tack introduced etc etc! It was time to see how he felt about a rider. He had been sat on bareback once or twice. Well he wasn't bothered and within a week a rider was walking and trotting on the lunge on him then we lost use of our arena due to a new one being built, followed by news I needed another operation. So he was side-lined you could say which did set us back in the manners department as Midas likes to work.
    october - a local show, Midas needed to get out so we went and again his manners were to die for. He even got his first 1st which had me in tears our arena was built shortly after so work began again, lungeing.
    redwings - one of the liveries had been getting mark and Julie from redwings, two behavioural experts in doing groundwork training. I decided Midas would benefit this so started booking them monthly! Their assessment of him was spot on - highly intelligent, bold but likes to take charge of the situation with little respect for me! Since their visits we include daily groundwork which has shown him respect me more and actually enjoy the time we have together! Midas will always be bold but that's what makes him special
    january 2013 - I had my second operation so Midas was on hold, with family looking after him. I needed 8 weeks off but was back within 2 and glad as Midas had become bored with no work and had forgotten his manners! It was like starting again, plus redwings people had given me distraction exercises as Midas likes to find other things to entertain himself other than listening to me!
    Mrch 2013 - so Midas was lungeing again, over poles to help with his concentration with voice commands being respected and respect for me re-established! It was time to get on, so with the only help I could get which is my non horsey partner, I laid over for a bit then jumped on and what an angel! Over the month we built the riding with steering and voice aids before finally coming off the lead!
    Still very early days as now the hard work starts...Midas enjoys me sitting on hm but is incredibly lazy and lacks a forward button....but does a brilliant rein back :-p he isn't going to make it easy for me but this is our journey......
    i have more updates and loads of pics but my iPad is being an iPad again lol

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Midas as a foal, yearling and the day I bought him

Midas learning to mingle with friends and lungeing

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Backing and equifest

Attached Images Attached Images

March showing show and the worst weather ever!
    so it was to be the first show of the season! It was all planned, weather was pants but ok to travel. Midas had been getting plenty of work so his mood was good! He loads and travels well and we were only planning a couple in hand classes.
    we got there and the weather turned, the wind was awful! Midas was pretty unsettled at one point nearly kicking the car! Got him bridled and walking round made him much more settled. He was a fidget in the classes and spooky but behaviour was good. He was placed if only low but got some great pics and an idea of him not at best behaviour like previously seen. He was fine if walking around but tied up he went wild kicking out at anything!
    Attached Images Attached Images

10 April 2013 - so Midas has actually been working everyday, either in hand training session, lungeing or riding!
    The weekend saw me get on and ride him on my own with no help for the first time....so pleased he is good to mount he is nappy and goes backwards, I'm pretty patient (it's been a long journey just to get this far) so it's either forward eventually or try back till he gets fed up and he soon does. We're really just doing trot transitions as he isn't forward thinking enough for any length of time and my redwings trainers said he will need obstacles and exercises to keep him busy....they're coming Friday so hoping to have some then!
    so Tuesday I felt awful, really tired to the point I felt blurry (to do with my medical condition) I had been poo picking all afternoon and stupidly became dehydrated and had a cracking headache! Didn't think I would ride Midas. I persevered and tacked up with just a lunge in mind. Well he went well so jumped on, he was a little sod....brilliant behaved but still with the backwards. But for the 5-10mins I rode I felt normal...no headache, no tiredness and no dizziness for the whole time I felt great, I stood for ages on him just cuddling and he loved it (the standing part anyways). It was a moment I realised just how much Midas means to me and how it's him that keeps me going! It's a hard journey but I'm loving it and that realisations brought me to tears...had to share as made me feel so much more enthusiastic and is helping with my condition!
    In hand show planned this weekend and the weather forecast set to be better interesting to see how he behaves, been practicing standing around a lot in the hope he is less fidgety but only time and practice will tell will hopefully get some pics too (and who knows maybe a rosette lol)
    image.jpg

Stunning pics , he is gorgeous . A credit to you . I think I am in love x

P.s great read too ; )

12 April - today we had a session from our redwings behavioural experts. We started off with seeing how I had progressed with the groundwork. We lunged over poles followed by some in hand work! Midas was spot on and showing just how much he now respects me and pays attention to his work! Mark and Julie were most impressed and after hearing I have been riding, they were keen to see him under saddle! So after giving him a hay break from his first session, I tacked up and on I jumped! Midas was brilliantly behaved but demonstrated his backwards skills. Until now I was asking back, stopping then asking forward again. Then we had a few trots.
    The trainers pointed out that most of Midas' behaviour is just because of how unsure he is, particularly as he is obviously unbalanced in trot. So they suggested sitting trot for now. He carries his head high again because he is unsure so to keep the contact loose and hands low. This with the sitting trot means there is less going on to confuse him, then I can ask him forwards with the leg and reward him when the leg isn't needed(when he goes forward). Also if he naps/tries to go back, I'm to keep my hands low and encourage him forwards even if its in a different direction but it has to be a split second correction so Midas understands. With new tips given, I went out after another rest and put it in to practice and the improvements were great! We even managed a whole lap round the arena in trot!
    really pleased with him and its nice when trainers can see the improvements and commend your hard work also glad I got some tips I can use to work until their next visit in 3 weeks. It's all stuff I knew but was a little lost as to how to solve the issues.....love having good instructors
    x